Quick Question about 480p

Discussion in 'Nintendo GameCube' started by Jademalo, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Jademalo
    OP

Jademalo GBAtemp Fan

May 23, 2007
    I have a PAL GC, and I was looking at getting a GC Component cable for my setup. I have a quick question though regarding video modes and Region Free.

If I load an NTSC ISO/NTSC Disk, will I be able to run that in 480p with the component cable?
    If I load an NTSC ISO/NTSC Disk, will the standard multi-out port output RGB, or is it like the Wii where the pins output changes depending on the region?

Thanks!

2. Razor83

Razor83 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 23, 2009
    Yes you can output 480p from NTSC games on a PAL GameCube when using a GC component cable, as long as that game supports progressive scan (not all games do)

Also the multi out port on a PAL GameCube will always output composite video and RGB no matter what region games you play, as the video encoder chip on the motherboard is different to the one used in NTSC GameCubes which only outputs composite video and SVideo.

Only thing to mention is that if you intend to play Japanese games you will need separate memory cards for English and Japanese games, and also a select few Japanese games don't work properly as they try to use the Japanese characters only present in the NTSC BIOS (This is going back some years, so things may be different now)

3. Jademalo
    OP

Jademalo GBAtemp Fan

May 23, 2007
    Perfect, thanks for the clarification!