jono_

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just a qwick question,

Is it worth pulling out my DS to play earthbound again.
Is it fully playable, no errors, etc. on the SNES Emulator?

Or should I Play it on the laptop?

Thanks
jono_

dahun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well during boss fights u have to change some graphics settings to see everthing and then even the backround is messed up. it can be a bit slow when there are 5+ mobs on the map
but the ds has better controls than a laptop.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The PC emulators are certainly better at playing the game than the DS one. Although, I HAVE been having a blast playing on SnemulDS. Basically, graphical glitches include-

- some minor slowdown with a lot of sprites onscreen
- no battle transition effect
- any transparent mode-7 effects seem not to appear (like when the meteor opens in the beginning)
- some layer issues in the boss battles make you have to change the settings a little to see things
- some garbled backgrounds in boss battles
- may need to change screen position or scaling since some menus are chopped off at the bottom or top
- sprites appear in front of most buildings, plants, and things that are supposed to be in front

Other than that, it plays well with good sound. It's still fun even this way and I've not had any problems as of yet that make the game unplayable in any way. Still, if you want a clean experience with the game and can't deal with glitches, use ZSNES on a PC and get a gamepad with button settings like a SNES controller. And then hook the PC up to a TV. Voila! A perfect imitation of a SNES game the way it was meant to be played.

It should be noted that the GBA version of this game (Mother 1+2) is also good in my opinion. Sadly it's Japanese-only for now. They lightened up the graphics slightly, and some people think the music is a little worse (I can't tell much difference).

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
True, but if I went that far, I'd invest in a USB adapter that alloys you to plug a real SNES controller in a PC. Then it would be pretty complete.

And for the record, I'm probably the only person who actually plays SNES games on my keyboard and is fine with that setup. I've had years to sharpen my skills there and am actually comfortable with it. XD

TankedThomas

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Well, I'm still playing Earthbound on my laptop but I've got built-in Bluetooth so I just hook up my Wiimote, use GlovePIE and a SNES script, along with ZSNES, and it runs fine and plays well. Plus, I have rechargeable batteries so when my Wiiremote runs out of juice (and Bluetooth link-up [yes, I know they use Bluetooth with the Wii but I'm talking linking to a computer] drains them much faster than on the Wii, but still not too quickly), I can just take them out, throw them in the charger, and be playing again in a few hours (although at that point I'd usually call it a day on that game).

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
granville said:
And for the record, I'm probably the only person who actually plays SNES games on my keyboard and is fine with that setup. I've had years to sharpen my skills there and am actually comfortable with it. XD
Nah, I got used to this. As an Australian, I missed out on a huge number of quality releases (e.g., most RPGs never made it here; the only ones I can think of off hand are Lufia II [as Lufia, we never got the first one] and Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest [as Mystic Quest, since nobody knew what Final Fantasy was]), so I spent a lot of time playing through the games I'd missed on my PC, and since the only gamepad I had was an awful 2-button, wonky d-pad affair, I played with my keyboard. It's only since getting a DS and flash card that I've bothered using a "gamepad", but I still play Tetris Attack better on a keyboard.

misanthrope

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
granville said:
True, but if I went that far, I'd invest in a USB adapter that alloys you to plug a real SNES controller in a PC. Then it would be pretty complete.

I just grabbed a 360 usb controller. Was recognized without issues ( and im using Ubuntu Linux ) and emulators work great with it. Using the analog reminds me of using those old NES huge joystick controllers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1