Hacking Questions about NDS Repros

StrayGuitarist

A genuine feline disaster.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Foreword: Apologies if this is the wrong topic, I figure a repro cart is pretty similar to a flashcart, and I felt this topic was most fitting.

Hello, everyone, I had a few questions about repro carts for DS. I've been playing through Pokemon White recently and really enjoying it, and I figured that after I finished it,
I'd go on to play Gen 4. (Probably Platinum or Pearl.)

I bought the game back when it was new, but I have no clue where it's gone off to-- probably in my grandparents' garage somewhere, so I figured I'd just order a reproduction cart.
The problem is, with how much fun I've been having doing trades and watching battle videos with Wiimmfi, (thank everyone at that project so dearly for keeping that alive)
I'd want to access the WFC features on those games as well, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to with a repro. I've also seen a few reviews on some listings for them that the saving
can be iffy and that quality is generally sorta inconsistent, so I'd also been considering getting a flashcart like an R4, but the same questions come up with whether I'd be able to access Wiimmfi services.

Do any of you know if I could get online with one/how good they are currently? Thanks in advance! :yaynds:

EDIT: I'd also plan on using it on my 3DS (Non-XL, original model, unmodded), and I'm also unsure if it'd get my NNID banned.

Last edited by StrayGuitarist,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'd want to access the WFC features on those games as well, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to with a repro.
You should be able to - as long as you have a WEP or open 802.11b network, of course!

Most modern repros are just bottom-barrel flashcards (for example, an r4isdhc.com) autobooting one game, with the microSD hidden by a replacement shell or even just taped over!

Yes, do buy a decent flashcard (like an r4ids.cn) and load it up with the games/media/homebrews you want, the result is better (both in average parts quality, and in knowing what you're getting) :)

StrayGuitarist

A genuine feline disaster.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahh, I see. Scummy, but it doesn't really shock me. I guess if you can get away with duct-taping a 256 meg SD card to a cheap flashcart and selling it for 20 bucks on Etsy, why wouldn't you?

Well, that's probably the route I'll go down, then. As I mentioned, I plan to play on an original-model 3DS, with the newest firmware. Is there a specific card I should look out for, or can I just use an R4-SDHC? (I saw one on NDS-Card, but I can't link to it, I've still just got the Newbie rank.)

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I plan to play on an original-model 3DS, with the newest firmware. Is there a specific card I should look out for, or can I just use an R4-SDHC?
Anything that claims to support 7.0 on 3DS will work on any future update, including 11.9 - and if you have CFW, you can even use cards that don't meet this standard!

This is the one I recommend: https://nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?ProID=575
If by R4-SDHC you mean https://nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?ProID=143, be aware that it's in the latter group - and I don't know much about its kernel and therefore its user interface and game compatibility...
Anything in a red box or with a year on the sticker (made by r4isdhc.com or their sister brand r4i-sdhc.com) will work, but has a timebomb (meaning you will need to replace the kernel after a preset date, with an official replacement that may or may not exist, a cracked version of the official one, or with YSMenu) and their build quality is not awesome (spontaneous failures are far from unheard of)

Reactions: StrayGuitarist

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: Update on my brother: He's home now, tired and hungry, obviously, but other than that, seems to...