questions about Nandmin.bin and system updates

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by ryonion, Feb 10, 2017.

1. ryonion
    OP

ryonion Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 14, 2016
    United States
    I followed Plailect's guide and successfully cfwed my n3ds, everything has been going well, but I accidentally deleted Nandmin.bin on my 3ds, can I retrieve one again? in case I brick it in the future.

I have arm9loaderhax and luma (probably not updated to the latest version), is the latest system updates safe for me? I have heard that some people bricked their devices because of this.

2. Distrance

Distrance 矢澤にこ

Nov 23, 2008
    Finland
    You heard wrong. 11.3 does not brick your console. The worst that could happen is that 11.3 is not compatible with the Luma you're using but this is not same as brick as updating it would resolve it. You can update Luma with the Luma3DS Updater.

A NAND backup you can create in SysNAND options in Hourglass9, which you can access by holding Start when you power on the console.

You do realize if your console bricks and you don't have this backup it's too late to make one then right? If you followed the 3ds.Guide you'd have seen the part where it tells you multiple times to back up your nand to multiple locations on your PC - Did you not do this?!

Last edited by Distrance, Feb 10, 2017
    Quantumcat likes this.
  3. Keynote

Keynote Member

Newcomer
    Feb 8, 2017
    Netherlands
    In theory you can retrieve deleted files from memory devices.
    But! you can't have written anything on that device after you deleted it.
    And most important I wouldn't trust a Nand backup who is retrieved, a single bit wrong while retrieving will cause a brick if you need the backup.

So my advice would be create a nand back up of your current situation.

4. Distrance

Distrance 矢澤にこ

Nov 23, 2008
    Finland
    I don't think he was using "retrieve" in such a way that implies he'd retrieve it with a restoration program but rather that he wants to make a new one but does not know how. I already told him however.

Also retrieving a file using restoration program would be safe because a NANDMin.bin file is accompanied by NANDMin.bin.sha file, and if you recover both you can use the latter to verify the former. If even a singular bit was "wrong", it is practically impossible that it'd be the same bit for both .sha and .bin files so that the .sha would be able to verify .bin file despite it being corrupted.

5. Keynote

Keynote Member

Newcomer
    Feb 8, 2017
    Netherlands
    You are right, but the problem with sha checks are.... not everybody use them.

6. MarioMasta64

MarioMasta64 hi. i make batch stuff and portable shiz

Dec 21, 2016
    United States
    hourglass9 automatically checks the .sha on the .bin before restore

Alkéryn likes this.
  7. ryonion
    OP

ryonion Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 14, 2016
    United States
    Thank you guys so much for your advice! I actually cfwed 2 devices, and I forgot to put one of the nandmin.bin on my pc.