Not open for further replies.

XniJ

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright I have a few questions that maybe some experience hackers/modders can help me out with...
  • In a visual novel game how do I get the files that make up the rom... I ask because I am looking for the files that hold the scripts (with the text) so I can translate them to read :3.
like this (this is for pc)...

cUBOQ.png
^Now I am sure that *inside* a rom the files are different... and such.
  • After I translate how do I re-package the rom?...
___
Now I know the task will not be that easy (at all) but can someone please point me in the correct direction... :3

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Translate them? I thought you said you didn't know Japanese?

I suggest you learn romhacking and/or Japanese before attempting. You're trying to sprint before you can even walk, especially if you don't even know how to unpack the game.

Hacking for DS games is different than hacking for PC games anyway. Wrong section.

XniJ

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^I dont know Japanese but I have a plenty of resources that can translate from Japanese to English.

As for rom hacking I have experience with it - I made custom maps for Pokemon games which was easy (but a program assisted me). So where do I start on rom hacking...?

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
^I dont know Japanese but I have a plenty of resources that can translate from Japanese to English.

As for rom hacking I have experience with it - I made custom maps for Pokemon games which was easy (but a program assisted me). So where do I start on rom hacking...?
Using a program ISN'T rom hacking. That's just using a program.

Anyway, this is a PC game, so you can't even talk about rom hacking in any way.

PC games are a totally different matter, script files might be anywhere, the programmer is free to compress, hid, mess with them in any single way possible and imaginable. It also varies game per game, so there's nothing to help you there.

Start opening every single file with an hex editor that can display SJIS, and try your luck.

Reactions: 3 people

XniJ

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Using a program ISN'T rom hacking. That's just using a program.

Anyway, this is a PC game, so you can't even talk about rom hacking in any way.

PC games are a totally different matter, script files might be anywhere, the programmer is free to compress, hid, mess with them in any single way possible and imaginable. It also varies game per game, so there's nothing to help you there.

Start opening every single file with an hex editor that can display SJIS, and try your luck.

I want to know what the girls/person is saying in my game - I am not going to learn ANOTHER bloody language... just for a game.

I was trying to relate the PC game to what might be inside a rom - I have no flipping idea of how a rom is composed.

I had this under NDS Rom Hacking/Translation... another mod. moved it here...

Yes I know PC games are a different matter that tends to happen when you have a 54MB rom compared to a 2GB VN.

Eh?

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I was trying to relate the PC game to what might be inside a rom - I have no flipping idea of how a rom is composed.

As for thing about the wrong forum I had this under NDS Rom Hacking/Translation... another mod. moved it here.

Yes I know PC games are a different matter that tends to happen when you have a 54MB rom compared to a 2GB VN.
They're totally different :P And who moved the thread was me ;)

Well, there you have it, there's pratically NOTHING in common, except maybe the fact that you might also use a SJIS hex editor in this case too :P

XniJ

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
-.- if this is unrelated to PC games as you say why did you move it here?!...

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to know what the girls/person is saying in my game - I am not going to learn ANOTHER bloody language... just for a game.

Then you're bloody lazy and 9/10 your "translation" will be incorrect which isn't translating as much as it is butchering and taking wild guesses. It's just making up your own story. You would still need to learn romhacking to hack the game, as well.

They're not the same thing.

It was in the wrong section. You're asking about a PC game according to you. "like this (this is for pc)..." If it isn't for PC, then the first post needs a little rewording.

My replies are in bold. I took the color off cause the rainbow is annoying.

EDIT 2: If you want to know a little something about translating(But it's meant for those who know Japanese), Densetsu made this thread to help translators. http://gbatemp.net/topic/311523-densetsus-translation-toolbox/

Reactions: 1 person

XniJ

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Then you're bloody lazy and 9/10 your "translation" will be incorrect which isn't translating as much as it is butchering and taking wild guesses. It's just making up your own story. You would still need to learn romhacking to hack the game, as well.

It was only a matter of time before I ticked off one of the mods. :'(

I was going to post the "You dont say" meme but I thought... http://i.imgur.com/i6VLh.png

It was in the wrong section. You're asking about a PC game according to you. "like this (this is for pc)..." If it isn't for PC, then the first post needs a little rewording.

Working on it.

My replies are in red.

How should I go about learning Japanese?

XniJ

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

EDIT 2: If you want to know a little something about translating(But it's meant for those who know Japanese), Densetsu made this thread to help translators. http://gbatemp.net/t...lation-toolbox/

Thank you for the link - I sent you a PM *read it please*. Regarding this thread I think it would be best if it were locked however that is up to the mods./admins... also you dont like rainbows :O... what a shame...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM