Questions about Emunand

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by TheMagicMan, Mar 11, 2017.

1. TheMagicMan
    OP

TheMagicMan A Person

Sep 21, 2016
    United States
    Not sure if this is the right place to ask(If it isn't just tell me), but I had some questions about emunand. At this point I am using Luma3ds+Al9h and have been for a while and was wondering if there are any benefits to using one. Also what exactly does a "3ds nand" contain? I appreciate anyone willing to answer my questions and help :)

2. windhazard

windhazard GBAtemp Regular

Mar 23, 2016
    Germany
    The nand is the internal storage of the 3ds and contains everything it needs to boot/run.The most important files are for the operating system.

Previously hacking the 3ds is risky because we mess with the nand directly (called sysnand), so if something goes wrong and the console can't boot anymore, we called it a "brick", for example accidentally deleting a system file needed to boot. Therefore developers create a clone of the nand stored on the SD instead (called emunand) so we can do whatever we want with it. If we somehow brick it, we can still boot the console through sysnand and create another functional emunand.

The 3ds hacking scene has come so far that the setup a9lh+luma is so easy to setup and safe to use. We can run Hourglass9/Derypt9 before the home menu even boots, and with it we can back up or restore the nand. Now we can mess with the sysnand directly and if something happens, just run Hg9 and restore a backup.

Last edited by windhazard, Mar 11, 2017
  3. StarTrekVoyager

StarTrekVoyager Soon™

Jun 19, 2016
    France
    Paris
    There is no benefits in using an EmuNAND right now, especially if you don't have GW.

4. TheMagicMan
    OP

TheMagicMan A Person

Sep 21, 2016
    United States
    Ok Thanks :)