[Question] upload NAND from different system

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Kubas_inko, May 27, 2017.

1. Kubas_inko
    OP

Kubas_inko 3DS Hardmoder

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Maybe simple question, but I just don't understand it. Why can't you hardmod for example your friends BRICKED 3ds (lets say, you have New 3DS XL and your friend too) and upload your nand backup to it? (You have hardmod and via frankenSD backuped your nand, this nand will be uploaded to friends 3ds) And please, treat me like I am totally stupid. I really would like to understand it. Thanks.

Last edited by Kubas_inko, May 27, 2017
  2. anonynom

anonynom Punchyleaf

Aug 19, 2015
    United States
    New Jersey
    NANDs are console specific, just like OTP. Uploading a NAND that doesn't belong to the system- like an OTP as well, will cause a brick. Irrecoverable brick.

TheDarkGreninja likes this.
  3. vb_encryption_vb

vb_encryption_vb That hardmod guy....

Nov 21, 2015
    United States
    Acworth, GA
    Bricks can be fixed via sighax even with missing nand via hardmod.

4. Kubas_inko
    OP

Kubas_inko 3DS Hardmoder

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    How?

5. vb_encryption_vb

vb_encryption_vb That hardmod guy....

Nov 21, 2015
    United States
    Acworth, GA

There isn't a tutorial about, as soon as I get a system in my hands, I'll write out the steps.

6. Kubas_inko
    OP

Kubas_inko 3DS Hardmoder

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
  7. TheDarkGreninja

TheDarkGreninja How could you hate that face?

Aug 25, 2014
    On his bed
  8. Kubas_inko
    OP

Kubas_inko 3DS Hardmoder

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Its just a question. I have hardmod and b9s. Look at my profile "B9S first day installer" :D

9. nl255

nl255 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 9, 2004
    Parts of the NAND are encrypted with console specific keys. If you have a dump of boot9.bin and the OTP from the system you made the backup from as well as the target system it could probably be done. It would be far easier to make a ctrnand image from your 3ds, install b9s via hardmod, then use gm9/decrypt9 to restore the ctrnand you made to their system. There will probably eventually be a PC program to convert a nand dump to a ctrnand image now that the bootrom isn't an issue.

10. Snooli

Snooli GBAtemp Regular

May 25, 2017
    My thoughts on this are that there has to be a way for Nintendo to flash the entire system on the device when they get it into repair with trashed NAND chip.
    One of these holes in could be the currently explored DSflashcard route or the system key is somehow tied to your serial number or whatever and thus could be regenerated at will.