Hacking Question Regarding Luma3ds

MrMcTiller

GBATemp's Tiller
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a quick question. Is it OK that I installed Luma3ds 8.1.1 to FIRM0? It seems to run fine. Will it break anything?

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a quick question. Is it OK that I installed Luma3ds 8.1.1 to FIRM0? It seems to run fine. Will it break anything?
Well for one it's not supported so if you have issues, you're on your own as far as dev support which is a pretty big deal IMO. Quoted from the Luma Github,
Luma can now boot on its own as FIRM0/1 (although note this is not recommended or supported at all and we very strongly recommend using boot9strap)"

That and you'll have to reinstall it each time there is a Luma update.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'll also say that I don't know how well versed you are to attempt things that should only be used by developers (no offense). There is a reason it's not officially supported.

Use at your own risk more or less.

Reactions: MrMcTiller

MrMcTiller

GBATemp's Tiller
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well for one it's not supported so if you have issues, you're on your own as far as dev support which is a pretty big deal IMO. Quoted from the Luma Github,
Luma can now boot on its own as FIRM0/1 (although note this is not recommended or supported at all and we very strongly recommend using boot9strap)"

That and you'll have to reinstall it each time there is a Luma update.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'll also say that I don't know how well versed you are to attempt things that should only be used by developers (no offense). There is a reason it's not officially supported.

Use at your own risk more or less.
OK, Thank You. I didn't know that the Github says that. I was just messing around with GM9 and noticed the "Install FIRM" option. I created a sysnand backup and tested it out. I will reinstall B9S now.

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, Thank You. I didn't know that the Github says that. I was just messing around with GM9 and noticed the "Install FIRM" option. I created a sysnand backup and tested it out. I will reinstall B9S now.
NO problem. At least you made a backup prior, that itself is impressive these days Lol. (Again, nothing personal just speaking in general) :D

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, One more question. I am using Luma3ds-4116c1e. Does that do anything different than the normal Luma3ds?

EDIT: It is Luma3ds 8.1.1-4116c1e i think
That's a nightly, so it's more prone to incompatibilities than the stable 8.1.1 releases. Again, they are use at your own risk and mainly for developers to identify bugs before the next stable release. If you have issues, revert to the stable one.

MrMcTiller

GBATemp's Tiller
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's a nightly, so it's more prone to incompatibilities than the stable 8.1.1 releases. Again, they are use at your own risk and mainly for developers to identify bugs before the next stable release. If you have issues, revert to the stable one.
OK, I just like the way it tells you where it is booting from on the bottom screen of the setup. Example: "Booted From SD via FIRM0" Is there a way to make the stable version do that?

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, I just like the way it tells you where it is booting from on the bottom screen of the setup. Example: "Booted From SD via FIRM0" Is there a way to make the stable version do that?
Well, that's what the nightly is Lol. You'll just have to wait for the next stable release after new commits/ bugs are worked on etc. It's up to the development team when they decide the commits are stable enough to release.

MrMcTiller

GBATemp's Tiller
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, that's what the nightly is Lol. You'll just have to wait for the next stable release after new commits/ bugs are worked on etc. It's up to the development team when they decide the commits are stable enough to release.
OK, Thanks For All The Help! :D

ayanekochan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just started playing my 3ds again and I'm still currently on al9h Luma and updated to latest fw. Can anyone tell me the difference upgrading to b9s? So far everything is working great and apparently I missed the great ban wave period back when b9s first came out.

MrMcTiller

GBATemp's Tiller
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just started playing my 3ds again and I'm still currently on al9h Luma and updated to latest fw. Can anyone tell me the difference upgrading to b9s? So far everything is working great and apparently I missed the great ban wave period back when b9s first came out.
What do you mean by "the difference upgrading to b9s"?

If you mean what is different between the two, B9S cannot be "patched" without a hardware update. (Nintendo would have to take your system and replace some things to "patch" it.)

Last edited by MrMcTiller,

ayanekochan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do you mean by "the difference upgrading to b9s"?

If you mean what is different between the two, B9S cannot be "patched" without a hardware update. (Nintendo would have to take your system and replace some things to "patch" it.)

Would I be missing out on any major features? It seems like all my games are working great on al9h, so I'm just wondering what else I would gain from upgrading to b9s other than the fact that it cannot be patched and Luma can update.

MrMcTiller

GBATemp's Tiller
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would I be missing out on any major features? It seems like all my games are working great on al9h, so I'm just wondering what else I would gain from upgrading to b9s other than the fact that it cannot be patched and Luma can update.
It really does the same thing, but it executes earlier in the boot. It has some other features, but mostly for devs. I strongly suggest updating from A9LH to B9S.

Reactions: DEEP_STEEL

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    My first color TV was like 1984 or something lol