Question regarding Custom Themes

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by Gizametalman, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Gizametalman
    OP

Gizametalman GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 18, 2015
    Mexico
    D.F. - Zona Cero.
    So I've been wanting to create a custom theme. But I don't know how to... of course I just googled it and I'll do it as soon as I get a Format Factory that dones not contain Artemis virus in it -_-
    But my question is:

-In order to create a CustomTheme, can I use the same e-shop downloaded theme over and over?
    -Is there any problem if I install someone else's theme that was created in another region's 3DS? For instance:
    Someone with a Eur 3DS made a theme, and I installed that theme in my Usa 3DS.

2. VioletX

VioletX GBAtemp Regular

Jun 8, 2016
    Not sure what you mean with the e-shop dingy but
    Custom themes work on all regions.

3. Posghetti

Posghetti Greninja Master

Mar 15, 2016
    United States
    Michigan
    Gizametalman likes this.
  4. Gizametalman
    OP

Dec 18, 2015
    Mexico
    D.F. - Zona Cero.
    Many tutorials says that you have to edit an e-Shop bought theme. That the ones bundled with the console doesn't work.

SORRY!
    1) I mean this:
    I bought a theme from the e-Shop. That is the "Black and White Checkerboard"
    I'm guesing that if I use that theme, it's data would be "overwritted"?
    Or whenever I want to create a custom theme can I use that same theme over and over again.

Last edited by Gizametalman, Sep 4, 2016
  5. ih8ih8sn0w

ih8ih8sn0w Koreaboo

Aug 22, 2015
    United States
    Hell
    Try to find themes which are not in cia format (body_lz.bins) or use https://3dsthem.es/ for them. As for "official" themes (found on that iso site). There is usually either cia format, individual cia format, or zips with the body_lz.bin and audio file. For all of the non cia ones, you can either use chmm2 to inject the theme data into your home menu, or use howling theme cia builder (?) to make a cia of all your themes.

6. VioletX

VioletX GBAtemp Regular

Jun 8, 2016
    Nah, just use one of the tools Posghetti mentioned in his post and you're good.

- edit -
    read the above post.

7. Gizametalman
    OP

Dec 18, 2015
    Mexico
    D.F. - Zona Cero.
    I'm a bit affraid of installing .Cias into my system. So of course, I won't use that option.
    I'm more confident in using homebrew apps that can do the job.

Once the CustomTheme is installed, do I have to keep all the files in my SD (body_lz and audio files) in order to get the CustomTheme working?

8. ih8ih8sn0w

ih8ih8sn0w Koreaboo

Aug 22, 2015
    United States
    Hell
    You should just in case something happens and the theme is removed from the home menu cache. Themes don't take up more than a couple mb if they have audio anyways.

Gizametalman likes this.