Question on the Mario Kart 8 Promo Code

Discussion in 'Wii U - Games & Content' started by gokuguy, Jun 11, 2014.

1. gokuguy
    OP

gokuguy GBAtemp Fan

Dec 5, 2008
    United States
    Alright, we all know that Mario Kart 8 currently offers a free download code for one of 4 games in the US when you get it and register it on Club Nintendo before July 31.

Do I actually need a Wii-U to take advantage of this right now? You see, I plan to get a Wii-U sometime this year, I just have no idea when yet. This is a deal I feel I can't pass up. Must I have a Wii-U registered on my Club Nintendo account to register Mario Kart 8 and get my download code of choice for later?

In addition, do these download codes have expiration dates themselves? I know the promotion ends July 31, but I haven't seen anything about the code itself expiring.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light on things.

2. B4rtj4h

B4rtj4h Gaming addict #2 and some

Apr 16, 2007
    Netherlands
    Bikini Bottom
    Yes and no. You could register the game, however the code needs to be activated before the end of Juli I believe (don't know the exact date)

EDIT from Nintendo's website: The download code should be activated before 31 August 23:59 CEST

3. gokuguy
    OP

gokuguy GBAtemp Fan

Dec 5, 2008
    United States
    Alright, thanks. I'll just hold off and hope something like this comes up around Smash Bros U release time.