Hacking Question on SD cards and softmodding

wpanther

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok I have some friends who want me to mod the Wiis they have. Seems most have updated to 4.2 and I have a guide I got off configurable usb loaders site made by[NiNjA}UK that I have used on another occasion that works great. Now to my question in the guide and others I have read you either have to rename the .dols and .elfs or put other files in the root of the sd after formatting, would it be ok to have separate cards for all this or is info written on the card that may cause a brick. I am making folders where all I have to do is format then put the new folder in the root of the card instead of renaming each file. Hope this make sense of what I am wanting to do as I am better at verbally describing things then typing them out.

antiaverage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most modern guides don't require this. For example, this guide:
http://wiihacks.pbworks.com/Hack-Your-Wii

You'll notice it uses the latest dop-IOS MOD which handles the Trucha bug and the IOS stub deletion all in one go. You can thank Giantpune, another member of these forums, for that added functionality.

Edit: The guide mentioned by modmystuff works as well. It is the guide by xzxero, which is very useful. However, his guide requires more application switching, making it a bit more complex. The guide I mentioned is simpler, at the moment. I'm sure xzxero will update his guide at some point, as he's a very good guy.

wpanther

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Both those guides look great but I really like this guide it works great as well and come with configurable usb loader which I also really like. Was just wanting to know if anything is written to the SD card during a softmod that would/could cause a brick if deleted. From doing the reading I have and seeing where some are completely formatting the card I am thinking not but, I wanted to get some other peoples advice that have been around this more then I have and have more knowledge. I am going to read up and about those guides and I appreciate the help.

antiaverage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wpanther said:
Both those guides look great but I really like this guide it works great as well and come with configurable usb loader which I also really like. Was just wanting to know if anything is written to the SD card during a softmod that would/could cause a brick if deleted. From doing the reading I have and seeing where some are completely formatting the card I am thinking not but, I wanted to get some other peoples advice that have been around this more then I have and have more knowledge. I am going to read up and about those guides and I appreciate the help.

It's hard to say for certain without reading the guide you're looking at. Typically you'll be fine, anything written to the SD card can't really cause a brick in and of itself.

Keep in mind, no matter which guide you follow you can install any backup launcher, such as Configurable USB Loader, that you want. Just because a guide installs USB Loader GX doesn't man you can't delete the usbloader_gx folder in your apps directory and paste in the Configurable USB Loader folder. Homebrew applications such as USB Loader GX and Configurable USB Loader aren't really installed, they're just folders sitting on your SD(HC) card.

The Pink Gato

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
antiaverage said:
Most modern guides don't require this. For example, this guide:
http://wiihacks.pbworks.com/Hack-Your-Wii

You'll notice it uses the latest dop-IOS MOD which handles the Trucha bug and the IOS stub deletion all in one go. You can thank Giantpune, another member of these forums, for that added functionality.

Edit: The guide mentioned by modmystuff works as well. It is the guide by xzxero, which is very useful. However, his guide requires more application switching, making it a bit more complex. The guide I mentioned is simpler, at the moment. I'm sure xzxero will update his guide at some point, as he's a very good guy.

antiaverage is also right. yes, xzxero is a very good guy
yay.gif

~modmystuff~

antiaverage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
we (the CSG crew) already have a new guide ready for the new dop ios mod (since a day after its release or so), but we're still waiting to release it until a few bugs are worked out. (We're working on it with pune and Arikado).
In other words, we're going to use dop-ios mod v10 when its done.

And of course, we need to update 4 guides at once
tongue.gif

antiaverage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tj_cool said:
we (the CSG crew) already have a new guide ready for the new dop ios mod (since a day after its release or so), but we're still waiting to release it until a few bugs are worked out. (We're working on it with pune and Arikado).
In other words, we're going to use dop-ios mod v10 when its done.

And of course, we need to update 4 guides at once
tongue.gif

Yar, http://wiihacks.pbworks.com/Hack-Your-Wii jumped the gun, but it works great and was the first to utilize dop-IOS MOD as a replacement for TBR and ATD thanks to Giantpune. It will be nice when dop-IOS MOD officially releases v10 and we can all enjoy the flood of simpler guides.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over