Hacking Question on Scene releases

Bonovox40

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just wanted some general information/thoughts on the matter. Not condoning piracy, but why do some roms exist when other don't?
I know the 3DS scene is basically in it's infancy, since things have just started moving this year with flash carts. But why are some titles just not around? There's leaks of new games like Zelda:LBW, and there's roms of the 1st games that came out at the 3DS launch, and then there's games specific to regions like Asia/UK, that just haven't been touched be a group. Why is that? Is it just availability/access to those titles? Cost of acquiring? Something else?

Not saying anyone here is a member of a group, but some have been around for years and probably understand the whole process start to finish, better than me. Can someone elaborate please as to why certain titles have not been dumped? Thanks!

GorTesK

Mad Hatter
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
in some cases games only get a digital release, then you wont see a rom of it pretty soon, but most of the retail games should have been dumped, maybe you are just looking for some games, that noone actually wants to play? :P

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
cost. if the release group brought every game released they will have no roof over they head.

once we have an easier way for people to dump they games, let say by a homebrew. the less know games are not going to be released that easily.

:)

Mariko

Trophies
XP
Country
why do some roms exist when other don't? (...) and then there's games specific to regions like Asia/UK, that just haven't been touched be a group. Why is that? Is it just availability/access to those titles? Cost of acquiring?

That's pretty much it. For a title to be dumped, it must reach a dumper. A dumper isn't just someone who buys all the games from all possible regions. Acquiring games is costly, especially if you're looking at day one releases (or day zero releases - keep in mind that stores often get stock before the launch date, which explains occasional pre-launch ROM release). Dumpers get games from suppliers (people who own or work at game stores, regular folks who send a copies for dumping, etc.) and the game gets a scene release.

Bonovox40

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
in some cases games only get a digital release, then you wont see a rom of it pretty soon, but most of the retail games should have been dumped, maybe you are just looking for some games, that noone actually wants to play? :P

I wouldn't say that. The Kunio games have a HUGE fanbase, even away from Japan. And even though they haven't translated alot of them for the US market, if you mention to any old school gamer "River City Ransom"....they'll know what it's about. ;)

There was 2 or 3 retail Kunio/RCR games released on Asia region 2012 & 2013, and also Asia eshop exclusive titles as well. But the retail games are available, I guess nobody has grabbed on or those that have it aren't in a position to dump it. Guess i'm gonna have to start saving up for importing, but I gotta make sure the flash carts are gonna be able to run out of region retail releases. Is that possible yet, or we have to wait for the emunand firmwares?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: oh no