Hardware (Question) Keeping PS4 Cool

DS92

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Georgia
whats the best way to keep the PS4 Cool? is there a fan for it i can get?

i got it in my open TV Stand, i also got the PS4 Raised up so it doesnt get as warm/hot on the Bottom. Nothing is sitting on top of it at all.

also i cleaned out the PS4 and added new and better Thermal Paste to it.

DS92

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Georgia
bump, it get worse when playing RDR2, the top of the ps4 isnt even that hot, its mostly warm.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there's a fan payload that goes by threshold. 79C is the default temp threshold. the ps4 does get quite hot, but there's not much you can do about it other than having a fan running higher.

DS92

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Georgia
there's a fan payload that goes by threshold. 79C is the default temp threshold. the ps4 does get quite hot, but there's not much you can do about it other than having a fan running higher.
yeah i have that payload set to 79C, wish there was a way to control fan speed.

DS92

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Georgia
i heard that somebody removed the PSU from inside the PS4 and put it on the outside and used it like a power brick, like the one Xbox 360 uses, i guess so its one less thing causing heat from inside the PS4, and so the fan can have more holes to blow out of.

DS92

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Georgia
i took apart the ps4 to clean the fan better then i did the first time i took it apart, cleaned half of the heatsink, didnt feel like taking the top piece off to get to the other side.

DS92

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Georgia
i doubt the Thermal paste i put in the PS4 has anything to do with it but, what's the best way to apply the Paste? pea size or spread it on the CPU? i spread it on the CPU.

DS92

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Georgia
i just remembered the thermal paste i used im not too sure if it was actually Artic Silver 5 or not, because it came in a very small replacement syringe, and i put the replace paste in the Artic Silver 5 syringe and threw the small syringe away, anyway i ordered some
Noctua NT-H1 paste, im going to try that instead.

still need to know how i should apply the thermal paste once i get it, spread it on the whole cpu or would a pea size work?

My PS4 model - CHU 1215A. Normal/Phat/Non-Pro.

if this doesnt work im not sure what i can do to make the fan shut up.

randy_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AFAIK thermal paste doesn't make much difference, as long as you use a branded high quality one. I use Arctic MX4 and it works great. Just don't use those $10 a bottle white cheapo unbranded stuff you see on amazon. Also you might want to change thermal pads, original thermal pads are pretty small and don't cover the whole ram chip.

DS92

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Georgia
AFAIK thermal paste doesn't make much difference, as long as you use a branded high quality one. I use Arctic MX4 and it works great. Just don't use those $10 a bottle white cheapo unbranded stuff you see on amazon. Also you might want to change thermal pads, original thermal pads are pretty small and don't cover the whole ram chip.
does any thermal pad work?

randy_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
does any thermal pad work?
Again you'll need high quality ones. I use thermalright because it's relatively cheap and has good thermal conductivity at 12.8 W/mK. Check the specs first because many no-name generic blue pads on amazon have very poor thermal conductivity. Also thickness should be 1mm.

DS92

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Georgia
Again you'll need high quality ones. I use thermalright because it's relatively cheap and has good thermal conductivity at 12.8 W/mK. Check the specs first because many no-name generic blue pads on amazon have very poor thermal conductivity. Also thickness should be 1mm.
wow i almost ordered a blue one. hopefully i can find some for decent price.

DS92

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Georgia
what size should the pad be.

i found some that claim to be 15W/mK.

randy_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't think it really matters, but I usually spread thermal paste evenly on die surface. Also thermal pads usually arrive as a whole piece and you need to cut it manually.

DS92

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Georgia
Don't think it really matters, but I usually spread thermal paste evenly on die surface. Also thermal pads usually arrive as a whole piece and you need to cut it manually.
yep i got the good thermal paste in the mail today it came new in the box. im waiting for the Thermal Pads they claim they are 15W/mK and they arent the cheap knock off.

ItsmeAJ

Trophies
XP
Country
what size should the pad be.

i found some that claim to be 15W/mK.

thermal pads for rams on ps4 have around 13x11mm dimension with 1mm thickness to cover the whole chip. But you just need to cut it evenly 10mmx10mm, still bigger, better than original thermal pads which you see in picture below.

I use artic thermal pads (6 w/mk) for rams and artic mx4 for apu die.

e3HAoTC.jpg

Last edited by ItsmeAJ,

DS92

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Georgia
thermal pads for rams on ps4 have around 13x11mm dimension with 1mm thickness to cover the whole chip. But you just need to cut it evenly 10mmx10mm, still bigger, better than original thermal pads which you see in picture below.

I use artic thermal pads (6 w/mk) for rams and artic mx4 for apu die.

e3HAoTC.jpg
ok did the Thermal Pads seem to have quiet the PS4 down some or at all?

ItsmeAJ

Trophies
XP
Country
ok did the Thermal Pads seem to have quiet the PS4 down some or at all?
Replacing thermal pads and paste with better ones will surely help the ps4 but not that significantly, don't expect miracle.

With default syscon, ps4 fan starts kicking on if the apu is hot at 79c to keep the temp around 79-80c. To my personal experience, some games run quietly but some will still make the fan sound like jet engine even new thermal paste/pads applied, God of war running at 4k for example.

To my personal use, I modded the top cover like pic below to quiet the fan down.

OBt1Kn0.jpg

DS92

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Georgia
Replacing thermal pads and paste with better ones will surely help the ps4 but not that significantly, don't expect miracle.

With default syscon, ps4 fan starts kicking on if the apu is hot at 79c to keep the temp around 79-80c. To my personal experience, some games run quietly but some will still make the fan sound like jet engine even new thermal paste/pads applied, God of war running at 4k for example.

To my personal use, I modded the top cover like pic below to quiet the fan down.

OBt1Kn0.jpg
oh i have a normal fat PS4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Must say that's quite a stiff competition.