Question about XBox 360 emulator

Discussion in 'Computer Programming, Emulation, and Game Modding' started by Mylink5, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Mylink5
    OP

Mylink5 GBAtemp Fan

Dec 22, 2010
    Greece
    Greece,Thessaloniki
    Hello! I've been wondering if there is such a thing as an XBox 360 emulator for the PC. I have seen some sites, but I don't know their reliability I am asking here. Thanks in advance!

2. nukeboy95

nukeboy95 Leave luck to heaven.

Aug 24, 2010
    United States
    not sure
    iirc there is one but it cant load games yet

3. frogboy

frogboy lacking both style and grace

Dec 6, 2011
    United States
    No, there aren't any working Xbox 360 emulators. Most of the sites you see are just scams or excuses to get you to click on their survey links.

4. tofast4u

tofast4u GBAtemp Fan

Dec 2, 2012
    United States
    Do you guys think we will get a PS3 emulator in the next 5 years?

5. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    No.
    We still have a lot of trouble emulating the Xbox.

PS3/360 emulators won't come out for another 20 years.
    If you're looking at how powerful a PC must be to emulate the GCN/Wii.

6. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I have probably made a similar response when the question last arose

On PS360 emulators.

The emulate the CPU and everything up and/or dynamic recompilation thing may eventually sprout wings but I would not expect it any time soon.

The only emulation you will probably see is if

a) if someone sticks one of those cell PCI cards into a machine and kicks things to it. I doubt a straight up FPGA will get there at this point but who knows.

or b) someone says "oooh this was written for [insert popular engine]" and with a bit of messing around gets the assets loaded up onto it and thus the game to go with it, if it is open sourced at this stage (not uncommon for such things to happen) then even better. I will also accept asset ports and in game remakes in this as some of that lot are doing good work of late.

Though I can see it not happening that way I would not call betting against b) a safe bet. a) is possible again but I doubt the effort will be put into it as the userbase would be tiny.

I should note however that games are largely written in programming languages designed for portability, stored in nice content management systems (games got in on that in an odd way but it was early on), companies have seen the niceties of long tail sales, companies have seen the niceties of porting to everything under the sun and other such nice things that mean we are not likely to see games have lost source code.

7. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    We do have a PS3 emulator in developing, called rpcs3. Does NOT run any PS3 retail games.

http://code.google.com/p/rpcs3/

8. CompassNorth

CompassNorth Denko (´・ω・`)

Oct 18, 2011
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    Lol people are still working on an Xbox emulator?

9. Satangel

Satangel BEAST

Nov 27, 2006
    Belgium
    Bruges, Belgium
    Could very well be. We see the occasional NES/SNES update on the GBAtemp frontpage even, so why not updates for a much more recent console?
    People who make emulators aren't doing it for profit or to be the fastest; they just want to do it and do it as good as possible. It's their hobby, they don't care if their emulator is 10 years too late, they just want to be able to do it.

Also, this;
    How long until 360 emulated properly

Next time at least try to search

10. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    I think the 360 could be easily emulated, since it uses a IBM PPC chip just like the Wii, which has been emulated almost flawlessly already, running games at full speed at 1080p without any major issues. Granted, the 360 is much beefier than the Wii, so you'd need a hefty rig for the DynaRec to operate properly, but it CAN be done. Just not sure why there has been such a roadblock on an emulator for such a popular system...

11. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    DXBX

High level emulation.
    3 working games iirc ;]

12. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    N64 and PS2 both use MIPS, but do you see a polished N64 emulator?

Original Xbox uses x86 (Pentium 3 to be exact), do you see a polished Xbox emulator?

Architecture hardly matters in emulator. Having well documented information and interested developers are what push the development of emulators.

DinohScene likes this.
  13. Fishaman P

Fishaman P Speedrunner

Jan 2, 2010
    United States
    Wisconsin
    To expand on this, CPU architecture almost doesn't matter at all in emulators. RISC vs. CISC is the main thing there.
    What really matters is the system architecture; i.e. the pipeline audio takes to get to the speakers, the timing of interrupts, etc.