Hardware question about wii DVD drive

satanishere

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys, I have a Japanese wii and I might need to replace the DVD drive. My question is this, is the region locking done on the DVD drive main board itself or is it done elsewhere? I ask because they are MUCH cheaper to buy from america.

PPSainity

Blinded by Science
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
satanishere said:
Hi guys, I have a Japanese wii and I might need to replace the DVD drive. My question is this, is the region locking done on the DVD drive main board itself or is it done elsewhere? I ask because they are MUCH cheaper to buy from america.
As far as regions go you have nothing to worry about. Any Wii DVD drive can be swapped into any other Wii. You only need worry when you are dealing with DVD PCBs as the new PCBs (D4) are smaller and more consolidated so the larger older drive PCBs do not fit into the physical/mechanical part of the new drives as well as other issues. Just as long as you stick with replacing the whole DVD drive, board and all, you got nothing to worry about.

-[]D

satanishere

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PPSainity said:
satanishere said:
As far as regions go you have nothing to worry about. Any Wii DVD drive can be swapped into any other Wii. You only need worry when you are dealing with DVD PCBs as the new PCBs (D4) are smaller and more consolidated so the larger older drive PCBs do not fit into the physical/mechanical part of the new drives as well as other issues. Just as long as you stick with replacing the whole DVD drive, board and all, you got nothing to worry about.

-[]D

so just to confirm, if i swap out the entire drive there would be no region issues? on computers typically the region locking is done within the firmware of the DVD drive logic board itself, rather than another part of the computer. I just contacted the seller of the drives and the seller has given me conflicting information to what you are saying, he said that you would need to reflash the firmware of the DVD drive. not saying you are wrong, I just don't want to buy a new wii DVD drive, replace the current drive only to find out that I can no longer play games (as I live in Japan). Can anyone explain what part of the wii locks down the region? from what I can tell the shopping channel has something to do with it, but I am sure it goes a bit deeper than that.

gautam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You may be able to do it. Essentially, it is just taking out the ribbon cable after unscrewing the drive.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Hells Guardian said:
Well thats interesting... Never heard of region lock wii drive before.
Probably because they don't exist.
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4 +1