Question about vita memory card

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Sergeantpeppers, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Sergeantpeppers
    OP

Sergeantpeppers Newbie

Newcomer
    May 11, 2017
    Indonesia
    Guys im thinking of buying a new 8 gb vita memory card (cant afford higher capacity currently) for dumping and such. but i heard that vita memory cards are low in quality and can easily corrupt, is this true? Should i wait for an adapter or will the original vita memory do the job?

2. Closet Nerd

Closet Nerd Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 6, 2011
    United States
    Option 1. If you're worried about failure, buy new and buy from a trusted source. When and if a 3rd party adapter is mass produced is anyone's guess.

Option 2. Use vita as a paperweight

3. Pedeadstrian

Pedeadstrian GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    Your current memory is probably just as likely to become corrupted as any other memory card you buy. If you're SUPER worried you could always buy a cheap PSTV and do all your "dumping" from there, since you can hook up flash drives to them. Cheaper than an official memory card and can have way more storage.

4. ov3rkill

ov3rkill GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 10, 2009
    If you need it now, just buy the cheapest one you can get. Otherwise, feel free to wait for an adapter. There's one coming for PS Vita 1000 (phat) 3G version only.

5. Pandaxclone2

Pandaxclone2 Pokemon Sprite Artist Hobbyist

Aug 17, 2015
    noun; a particular place or position.
    You could always periodically back up your Vita's storage, be it through the content manager's backup feature or literally copying everything off ux0:/ using Vita Shell's USB connection feature. Provided you do that, the eventual blow of your card corrupting/breaking down should be softened. Hopefully by then we should have better methods of data storage for the Vita, too.

Last edited by Pandaxclone2, Jun 6, 2017
  6. Sergeantpeppers
    OP

Sergeantpeppers Newbie

Newcomer
    May 11, 2017
    Indonesia
    Thanks guys for the answers !
    Is the memory from the initial purchase of vita different from when u buy seperately?
    Is it more durable?

Sadly my budget isnt enough for a pstv :(
    I could only afford a 8gb memory card currently.

Im only planning to play dumped games so is the file transfer between pc and the ps vita making the memory corrupt? Im also waiting for the micro sd adapter but it might still be long.

7. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    All vita memory cards are the same. Wether bought at launch or years later, they're all manufactured in the same way to the same standards.

There are no third party cards, so no inferior versions.

I had 2x 4GBs 2x 8GBs and a 16GB (given to me) and sold all but the 16GB for over £50 for the four of them together: the price of memory on the vita is insane!

8. Pedeadstrian

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    What exactly is your budget? I'm seeing a 8gb card from Gamestop for $22, and that was only three dollars less than what I paid for my PSTV. I know that we're in different countries so things may be different, but you should check it out, even used ones (that are still on 3.6).

9. Sergeantpeppers
    OP

Sergeantpeppers Newbie

Newcomer
    May 11, 2017
    Indonesia
    Seriously? In my country they sell a new pstv for like around $100 and used ones for around $50 if u calculate using dollars

Last edited by Sergeantpeppers, Jun 7, 2017
  10. Pedeadstrian

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    Ouch... yeah, there was a sale on them and they got so cheap that I said "Why not?" and haven't regretted my ~$30 purchase. Now that it's not in production the price is sure to rise, but I heard people still getting it cheap lately. Again, the same may not be said in Indonesia. You might want to keep an eye on eBay or whatever analogue you have over there.