Question about upgrading processor

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by BowlOfSpiders, Dec 24, 2011.

Dec 24, 2011
  1. BowlOfSpiders
    OP

Member BowlOfSpiders hi

United States
    I am thinking about upgrading from my i3-540 1156 to an i5-2500k 1155. To do so, I would need to buy a new motherboard to support the socket. I was wondering if the actual performance of my build will go up or down? I use my desktop for hosting servers, video processing, heavy gaming, and a few other things.

2. marcus134

Member marcus134 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    it'll go up of course, not only Sandy Bridge (SB) does more IPC (instructions per cycle) but it's also clocked faster and is a quad (your i3 is just a dual core with htt).

SB also introduces Quick sync witch is a h264 hardware encoder, it transcode video about twice as fast as a gtx 460 (if the software you use support quick sync)
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-review-intel-core-i7-2600k-i5-2500k-core-i3-2100-tested/9
    it won't really impact gaming, as games are gpu bottlenecked, though it might help in two years.

3. BowlOfSpiders
    OP

Member BowlOfSpiders hi

United States
    Thanks for the help, Marcus.

4. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    I believe having a stronger CPU will help immensely for servers, which do not use the GPU at all. But games are GPU based and video editing/rendering is mostly GPU based.

Don't forget that the 2500K is unlocked so over clocking it (which is fairly easy) can push performance by another 20% for CPU based tasks.