Question about updating

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Boy12, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Boy12
    OP

Boy12 NOT a new member!

Mar 8, 2012
    Netherlands
    Purmerend
    I have a question that bothered me for quite some time.
    If someone happened to accidently hit the A button when promped a update, and you quickly hold the Power button, will your system then be bricked? I mean it like this:
    > 3DS Starts
    >Update Prompt
    >Hits yes
    >Quickly holds the power button before the update begins
    Thank's in advance for the answer!
    P.S: This has not happened to me, i'm just puzzeled over this question for a very long time :unsure:

2. DoJo_Master

DoJo_Master GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 7, 2013
    Canada
    It will not brick, but it will no longer be gateway compatible.. and if your running 2.3b emunand it will work fine with gateway even when updated

3. Abcdfv

Abcdfv What comes around goes around.

Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    Maybe once you stop necroing threads.

4. DoJo_Master

DoJo_Master GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 7, 2013
    Canada
    Why do you care? These people never got a response wouldn't it be a good thing to respond as soon as possible

5. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    i doubt they would really be rushing back to find out a year later.....try limit your necro'ing to say 2 weeks at worst....even then its not really good

6. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    simple answer it would depend on what exactly was happening at the point you reset

A. best case is you mange to shut down before ANYTHING has been wrote to the FW

B. most likely case is you will end up with a partially updated console i.e still shows as 4.x in system settings but has infact updated the parts of the firmware that block gateway from working....you may of seen threads where people have bought a 3ds that shows as 4.x in the settings but has the miiverse icon on the homecreen from 7.x, in these situations the gateway exploit will of already been patched and the console is effectively having an identity crisis...its 7.x but thinks that its 4.x

C. worst possible outcome is that it gets shut down in the middle of a important file being re-written and bricks the 3ds( i dont know of any cases of this happening but it seems like something that might happen unless nintendo have safeguards to prevent something like that happening)

7. Purple_Shyguy

Purple_Shyguy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 8, 2008
    Republic of Ireland
    Apparently if you just turn the wifi off during the update it cancels it completely.

Of course, only if said update hasn't already been downloaded in sleep mode/spotpass.