Question about trimmed roms

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by irvingsp, Apr 10, 2014.

1. irvingsp
    OP

irvingsp Member

Newcomer
    Mar 16, 2014
    Mexico
    Hi, , i just bought a new gateway and im starting to trim roms to save some space in the micro sd, the question is the next one, if we SUPPOSE that I trim a pokemon x rom (I already know that this rom doesn't works trimmed, is just an example), and play it for a couple of months, and then gateway updates the firmware to 2.x and let us use the online mode, but it needs an untrimmed rom to use it, are the saves compatible? I mean, if I trimmed the rom POkemonxversion.3ds, and I change it later to POkemonxversion.3ds original (untrimmed), does it work? Or the saves aren't compatible?

Thanks

PD: Now that I think it, pokemon saves the game in the rom if im not wrong, in that case it wouldn't work, but again its just an example.

2. roxas-89

roxas-89 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 30, 2014
    Egypt
  3. irvingsp
    OP

irvingsp Member

Newcomer
    Mar 16, 2014
    Mexico
    But thats only in nand saves like Pokemon games right? I mean what would happen in any other game like...amm mario kart for example. If I put the untrimmed rom, will it continue, or the save file doesn't work? I ask this because im still waiting my GW card, its comming tomorrow xD, but anyway this info could be useful to other people.

4. zhdarkstar

zhdarkstar GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    CARD1 games (not PKMN/ACNL) have their saves as separate files on the 3DS SD card. For those games, it'll read the save regardless of whether or not the rom is trimmed..

irvingsp likes this.