Question about SNES Virtual Console

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by SuperrSonic, Sep 1, 2013.

1. SuperrSonic
    OP

SuperrSonic GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 9, 2011
    So, I started doing some VC injects for fun and it has worked really well.
    People still into injects, right?
    Okay, I did some tests with the SMW VC to figure out how important the .var .pcm files are and it seems not so much. I replaced the files with blank text files and a normal rom of SMW. Here's the cool part, I mixed all of this with a save point, the result was distorted sound however I pressed reset and the sound was back to normal since it wouldn't be using .pcm anymore.

So what is the purpose of .pcm? If it just takes unneeded space since the rom still has the same size.
    The volume and quality of the audio is exactly the same.
    I guess this is more of a "give your opinion" since there's almost no way of knowing.
    I think it's just a measure so people don't go and rip their releases.

2. Aractus

Aractus GBAtemp Regular

Aug 4, 2013
    Canberra
    Well yes they do, but it's kinda redundant for SNES when you have Snes9x-Gx that runs perfectly on the Wii. Oh, and has features not available in the VC. For instance you can re-map your buttons per-game, etc. Plus it doesn't occupy precious space on your NAND...

3. d.d.d.

d.d.d. GBAtemp Fan

Jun 26, 2012
    Tokyo Metropolis
    I've compared several VC SNES games to running them in SNES9xGX vs an actual SNES. For most titles, GX is great. Actually I haven't run across a game that didn't play well in GX yet. I know there are games with more finicky timing but I guess I haven't been playing them recently at all or I just haven't noticed anymore.

VC injects: I'll rarely use them simply because of the huge size most VC games take up and I'm not running any xNEEK yet. I do have a few VC injects, N64 and PCE, that I keep on the NAND but otherwise I use emulators.

While we're on setups, for a long time I went to the system menu with my emu channels, USB loader, etc, but these days I've just been booting into USBLGX and playing Wii titles as usual, or if I want to play an emu, I'll hit the HBC button and load the emu from there. It's been working for me these days and who knows, I might change the way I load up the Wii again sometime. (Dunno if that's what you mean but hey.)

4. Aractus

Aractus GBAtemp Regular

Aug 4, 2013
    Canberra
    I play my SNES games on my SNES, so I really haven't used snes9x gx in a while. But I'd certainly recommend it, it's one of those emulator's that's "near perfect", IMHO.

But to get back onto topic, I think it's great that the OP has been experimenting and working out what works well, after all, this is a process that requires people test and experiment, and verify. If you remember back to the days of "RCE", a friend of mine said "that's why it's better to download a peer-reviewed torrent that is confirmed to work", lol, maybe not my exact philosophy (re piracy), however I can't fault him on the logic! Anyway, unless people like the op are willing to experiment, then everyone has to do trial-and-error instead of reading the feedback of what works and what doesn't work.