QUESTION ABOUT emuNAND

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Paranoid V, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Paranoid V
    OP

Paranoid V Member

Newcomer
    Dec 10, 2014
    Mexico
    Hi, I'm new here on the fourm and this is my first post after alooon time lurking here.

So I have a question for you guys:
    Can I install and use safely emuNand Omega 2.6 on my 4.5 3DS without a Gateway?
    Or does it still have bricking code like it had last year?

I only ask this because i'm interested in installing .CIAs and the like on my 3DS, but the only flashcard I currently have is my DStwo and I don't want to mess anything up.

2. nop90

nop90 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 11, 2014
    Italy
    Rome
    GW 2.5 should be safe. for 2.6 I don't know, but no one reported problems yet.

Anyway, you can't install CIA's on GW emunand without their card.

3. tyons

tyons GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 11, 2012
    Italy
    for what I understood, you can't access emunand without the card. I'll try now to see if it's true...

edit: yep, you can't access emunand and you can access classic mode with limitations (I don't know which, probably the retail games won't work?).

4. 59672

59672 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 14, 2009
    Canada
    Old gateway firmwares you could access without the red gateway card.

I think it was gateway 2.0 (or whenever 7.x emunand support came) that wouldn't let you boot into emunand without the card. You can still dump roms and backup nand without it though.

5. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    you can access emunand classic mode if its any version from 4.x-7.2, anything above that it won't boot without inserting the gateway red card first.......but its still pointless as you can't really do anything other than play games that need 4.x+

on a side note MT cards launcher allows you to boot into 7.x+ emunand without inserting the MT card first....but again still useless you cany use cia files etc in classic mode

6. Paranoid V
    OP

Paranoid V Member

Newcomer
    Dec 10, 2014
    Mexico
    Thanks for all the replies! So basically I'll have to buy a Gateway now...

7. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    you cant boot into gateway mode without inserting the gateway card....and you cant run cia files that are already installed in classic mode they will only work in gateway mode.....which again you need the card to get into

as to why....well they arent idiots, if they just let people install whatever they want why would anyone buy the gateway card :tpi:

8. nop90

nop90 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 11, 2014
    Italy
    Rome
    You can try CFW to install CIA, but it often fails to start and can run only limited retail titles.

I'm using it for Homebrews since I don't have ninjax

gamesquest1 likes this.
  9. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    yep this is the best bet for people unable to/not wanting to buy a gateway, free bug buggy and limited......but did i mention its FREE :lol:

10. Paranoid V
    OP

Paranoid V Member

Newcomer
    Dec 10, 2014
    Mexico
    But for what I understand, it's better not to mess with the real NAND and that's what the CFW does, right?

11. nop90

nop90 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 11, 2014
    Italy
    Rome
    NO, CFW is an emunand like the GW emunand. It's launched with a hb program that can load DEV Menu from the wifi connection (with GW you need the cart) and disable che check for CIA signature, so you can sign them with a dummy key (all zeroes).

CIAs are insatlled on the SD not in the NAND: obviusly if your sysnand and Emunand has the same sys seed you can view the installed sw on your sysnand, but you can't lauch them.

I use to separate sysnand and emunand formatting one of the two, so I don't risk to mess the emunand.

12. tyons

tyons GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 11, 2012
    Italy
    about this: for those who are interested, I have a link to a guide to do that in my signature >_>