Question about EHDD for WIIU

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by LombaxTheGreat, Jul 26, 2017.

1. LombaxTheGreat
    OP

LombaxTheGreat Member

Newcomer
    Jan 18, 2016
    United States
    I currently have a 4TB EHDD hooked up to my WIIU and it houses like 200gb of games. (I got it for like 60$ so that's why it's 4tb)
    I was wondering if I could create a second or even 2 1tb partitions for wii games/gamecube games (nintendont)
    If it's possible, how would go about formatting the EHDD on my desktop without touching the already made 2tb WIIU partition destroying the games it holds.

TL;DR can I use 4tb EHDD for WiiU, Wii, and Gamecube backups?

P.S. I'm using my 64GB sd card for the GC and Wii backups for now.

2. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    It will be limited to 2 TB, performance will be poor, and you will need to install WiiU games to a proprietary drive then copy them to the common one

Read about Mocha 0.3, that's the only CFW to support non-WFS hard drives in WiiU mode and not without significant limitations

tl;dr No

3. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    Wii U's native format doesn't support partitions at all. The entire drive has to be dedicated for Wii U mode.

There is an experimental FAT32 redirector in Mocha (which would allow use of a FAT32 USB drive instead of the proprietary Wii U format), but I have no idea how reliable it is.

4. LombaxTheGreat
    OP

LombaxTheGreat Member

Newcomer
    Jan 18, 2016
    United States
    That's sad, so basically the 4tb HDD is stuck as a 2tb slave to the WiiU?
    I can't use it anything else?

Edit: So hopefully Mocha 0.3 will make my dreams come true in the future.

Thanks for the replies guys! :D

Last edited by LombaxTheGreat, Jul 26, 2017