Question about 3DS Motherboards

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by TechAndrew, Sep 5, 2016.

1. TechAndrew
    OP

TechAndrew Untitled

Aug 6, 2015
    Canada
    Wherever I Am
    Hello,
    I am considering getting a broken n3DS (non-XL) so I can swap the motherboard inside it with the broken one of my n3DS (non-XL). However, I have no way of knowing if the broken n3DS's motherboard is working. The seller has told me that:

1. When the 3DS is turned on, it makes a popping noise, then shuts off promptly.
    2. When the 3DS is plugged in, the charging LED is on and stays on while plugged in.
    3. The 3DS has been *accidentally* submerged into water for a brief amount of time.

Does the popping necessarily mean that the motherboard is still alive?

Thanks,
    TechAndrew

2. TechAndrew
    OP

TechAndrew Untitled

Aug 6, 2015
    Canada
    Wherever I Am
    bump... Does anyone have an answer?

3. mudassirul

mudassirul GBAtemp Fan

Jan 13, 2010
    if its been submerged in water it usually means there's gonna be lots of problems. Could be that a ribbon and/or connector has corroded so you won't know untill you actually get it

4. invaderyoyo

invaderyoyo invader

Mar 17, 2014
    United States
    Southern California
    If a cable isn't hooked up properly it makes that popping sound so it might just be that, but who knows if there are other problems.

5. TechAndrew
    OP

TechAndrew Untitled

Aug 6, 2015
    Canada
    Wherever I Am
    At this point, I'm going to try finding a non-working n3DS XL; That is, a n3DS XL that definitely has a working motherboard (e.g. Broken Screen(s), Buttons, Cameras, Bad Cosmetic Condition)