Sogdiana
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
I have a Q6600 G0 with a XFX 680i lt (shitty) motherboard.
I have tried to OC it at 3.0GHz with 1.400Voltz with multiple failures. My default voltage is 1.288. I have my memory set to non-overclock default at 800MHz. Anyone know what I should do?
frown.gif

I have a Thermalright Extreme 120 lapped heatsink, so I think it's not that bad.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do you want to overclock it? You will not see any performance increase, unless you encode a lot of videos.

Westside

Sogdiana
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
Linkiboy said:
Why do you want to overclock it? You will not see any performance increase, unless you encode a lot of videos.
Lol... foer the heell of it?
hate2.gif
yaypsp.gif

The reason is that with my motherboard and CPU and heatsink, people have gotten 3.2GHz while I am still at the stock 2.4GHz. It kinda pisses me off that I spent extra money on cooling...

Sick Wario

Club Nintendo
Trophies
XP
Country
Q6600 G0's are sooo nice to OC.
change the multipliers around anyway
i would suggest a new motherboard if you want the best overclock. the intel P35 chipset is more stable with the q6600 in my experience
i run 1 G0 at 3.2 (gigabyte DS3R) and another at 3Ghz (DFI board). neither are lapped

EDIT what is the capacity and quality of the power supply you are using?

Westside

Sogdiana
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
Sick Wario said:
Q6600 G0's are sooo nice to OC.
change the multipliers around anyway
i would suggest a new motherboard if you want the best overclock. the intel P35 chipset is more stable with the q6600 in my experience
i run 1 G0 at 3.2 (gigabyte DS3R) and another at 3Ghz (DFI board). neither are lapped

EDIT what is the capacity and quality of the power supply you are using?
I'm running a 610 Watt PC Power and Cooling (supposedly one of the most stable) power supply.

Richy Freeway

Trophies
XP
Country
Gigabyte P35T-DS4P, Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro and some decent 1066 RAM will get you 3.4ghz without breaking a sweat.

They're great overclockers those CPUs. That said I ditched mine in favour of an E8400. It's only dual core but it runs much cooler, uses less power and ticks along at 4.4ghz.

Quad Core is really overrated.

My advice? Sell the Q6600 while it's still worth something and get an E8400. Get a Gigabyte motherboard. The P35T-DS4P is basically the big brother of the DS3P and has much better cooling on the VRMs, which is important for keeping the power supply to the CPU stable which helps the overclocks.

Some better PC6400 ram would be a benefit too. OCZ or Corsair and you can't go wrong. Just don't go for their low end stuff. Always worth spending a bit more.

I'm not familiar with the PSU you're running, we're big on Hiper's boxes. We always use them in our high spec overclocked machines.

Once you've got an overclock going, get Coretemp running to monitor the temperatures of your CPU and hammer it with Orthos for a while to see if it's stable.

Luckily I run a computer shop so I get to try all this stuff out without having to splash the cash on anything.
smile.gif

slayerspud

Trophies
XP
Country
Don't OC it to 3ghz straight. Go to 2.5 then 2.6 and so on until you can't boot with stock voltage. Then up the voltage bit by bit until you can. Check temps once a while as well.

Commander

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Start by increasing the voltage in increments of 0.5 until it becomes unstable then slowly decrease it till it becomes stable again. Also increase the RAM speed else it will bottleneck.

It should not be failing at just 3.0ghz unless your cooling sucks, I recommend a new CPU HSF, and never use the stock cooler.

~ Commander

slayerspud

Trophies
XP
Country
stormwolf18 said:
Noob, dont mess with the Vcore. Obviously you have no idea what you are doing.

Why dont you change the multiplier or the fsb via the bios first?

lol? The only way to keep it stable above 3ghz is to increase the vcore..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/3eGAHfC5P-Y?si=Fo3iEl1pZ4D_O6dp +1