Put new screen into my DS Lite and now it doesnt work

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by 79TAKid, May 9, 2010.

1. 79TAKid
    OP

Newcomer 79TAKid Member

United States
    So I dropped my DS Lite 8 months ago and part of the screen was cracked and had dead pixels but was still playable. My Top screen finally came after waiting all that time from deal extreme. I put the new one in and followed a walkthrough online. I was very careful and wore a static strap just to be sure since my fat DS broke and did that same thing after putting it in a new case. I got my Lite all back together, but now when I power it on, the green light comes on for a few seconds and then turns off. Thats all it does. I let it charge and it charged fine to make sure it wasnt battery. My fat DS did that too ugh. I rechecked the wires and had a friend check the ones under the bottom cover too and we didnt see anything out of place. Wouldnt start with the top screen unplugged either.

Any ideas/help?

2. Bently

Member Bently GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Are you sure the ribbon cable for the top screen is properly inserted? That might be your problem but its possible that you may have damaged the cable by bending it or scratching it. What did you use to get the cable through the cylinder-like part? Metal pliers, hands, tweezers?

3. 79TAKid
    OP

Newcomer 79TAKid Member

United States
    I think I mainly used my hands and twirled it up and got it through. The only tools I had were were tiny phillips and flat head screw drivers. I dont think I damaged it at all. Im going to go through and make sure everything it plugged in again I guess,

4. m9cus

Newcomer m9cus Member

United Kingdom
    i had a donor ds base and for a laugh i tried turning it on with the charger in and the battery in obviously. this unit did exactly the same thing. turned on for a second and went off. i then went ahead and used that very same motherboard as a replacement board for my old ds(f1 or f2 fuse had gone) and it worked perfectly.
    i conclude that your top screen wire is not seated correctly, or is broken.

having said that i broke my original ds by not connecting the top screen properly and it blew the fuses. thats what im told anyway.

5. 79TAKid
    OP

Newcomer 79TAKid Member

United States
    Well I checked the connections and I guess the bottom screen wasnt plugged in all the way (I unplugged it not even thinking following a tutorial). I replugged that in and the top screen and it started working.

Now it seems like the ribbon must be getting caught or something because sometimes itll only start up normal and not do that 2 second thing when its half way or less open. Sometimes it will be able to start all the way open but if you screw with it itll turn off. Ill try to mess with it more.

6. gary2010

Member gary2010 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i would think the screens are still not plugged in properly. it will probly be the top screen pulling out a little bit when u open it, are the microphone and wifi antena all pluged in properly aswell

7. lakaiskateboarding

Member lakaiskateboarding GBAtemp Regular

Probably still not properly connected. You really need to look if they are in as far as possible. The ribbon has to be in, till the part that sticks out, which is too big for the connector.