PSX2PSP settings for CFW 6.35 PRO?

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by rad140, Jun 27, 2011.

1. rad140
    OP

rad140 GBAtemp's "over quoter"

Mar 14, 2010
    Canada
    I've been having a lot of trouble getting custom PSX eboots to work on 6.35 PRO B7 on my PSP 2000. I've heard conflicting reports that they work, that they don't work, etc.
    Anyway, I was using a version of Tales of Phantasia that I converted myself via the lovely guide on PSX2PSP, and it wasn't working (black screen).

However, I found another copy of the game that the creator claims he created using PSX2PSP that works with 6.35, and oddly enough it does on my PSP.

I was wondering if there is a setting or value I have to make games work on 6.35 via PSX2PSP. It apparently can be done, but I'm missing it.

I can't link to where I found it because the site hosts warez.

2. solidsnake13

solidsnake13 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 23, 2009
    United States
    Sometimes just changing the compression rate can make a game work. Castlevania has that problem at level 10, but once you set the compression to 5, it works perfectly.

3. demonicstrife

demonicstrife *INSERTGENERICTITLE*

May 22, 2008
    United States
    Somewhere in the middle
    I actually did an extensive test of Phantasia at various compression rates and it should work without a problem. My copy is cleanly ripped and english patched myself, and converted. I used PSX2PSP v1.4.2.

What are the steps you take when doing it yourself?

4. rad140
    OP

Mar 14, 2010
    Canada
    I usually just take the iso/bin and compress it to 4. That's it. It might be that 6.20/6.35/6.39 have issues with custom made eboots.
    I did find another version of Phantasia that did work; I could just have had a bad rip or something, but I swear it was working on 5.50 Prom-4.

5. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    The game ID could have potentially been different (they can be problematic). Although that wouldn't matter on 5.50 Prome-4, since the PSX compatibility is very high, it is lower to an extent the higher up you go into the CFW.

Just have to ask: did you convert the file to a different format before trying to make the EBOOT? I discovered that PSX2PSP only really works with PSX games left in the format they were ripped in.

6. rad140
    OP

Mar 14, 2010
    Canada
    I believe the ID was correct for Phantasia. The original file was a .bin to which the English patch has been applied to. So I don't believe anything had been changed.
    I have a bunch of other custom eboots that I haven't tried yet, but I do know that a custom eboot of Silent Hill was also not working, though the PSN version does.

7. xist

xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

Jul 14, 2008
    Don't just use PSX2PSP....try other conversion tools too.

8. rad140
    OP

Mar 14, 2010
    Canada
    I have. Popstation GUI, and AutoPopstation. No luck.
    It's probably something with PRO's lack of Popstation/custom eboot support (for now).

Just wait until the Popstation plugin comes out, I guess.

9. xist

Jul 14, 2008
    Try one which doesn't use a GUI...they can break things.

10. rad140
    OP

Mar 14, 2010
    Canada
    What's your recommendation for a non-GUI one?

11. xist

Jul 14, 2008