Gaming PSX controller connected to 3DS via Slide Pad Attachment?

• Thread starter Deleted-188346
  • Start date
  • Views 11,936
  • Replies 56

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It appears that a Japanese 3DS fan has figured out how to use a PSX controller for the 3DS, via the Slide Pad Attachment.
The same user also managed to make a Arcade Stick attachment for the 3DS, although it was not connected via the same method.

Any ideas how he did this?

no analog light with analog control on a psx controller ? : o or im just bad at this lol

They went over that already, if its rewired its possible the modder couldn't or didn't want to power the light. (Its not like the system is plugged in to play)

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Was just thinking. I know with the DS/GBA, input is simply 1 bit for each button and each direction of the DPad. 0 if not pressed, and 1 if pressed. Something like (incoming programmer notation) 0011001010 (10 bits for 4 directions [Up,Right, Down,Left], 4 face buttons [X,A,B,Y], and 2 shoulder buttons [L,R]) could mean the DPad is being pressed down and left along with the B button and L shoulder button.

My guess with the modified CPP, if this is real, is that the signal being sent from it actual contains ALL the input as if the left slide pad, face buttons, etc. are included in it, but are always 0'ed out while what the CPP actually contains can be non-zero. Then, when the 3DS receives the signal, the value retrieved are (incoming programmer terminology here) OR'ed with what the input on the actual 3DS contains, allowing the two to be mixed into one final result. The person who did the modify may have simply tapped into the bit string, allowing all values to be non-zero, so when the 3DS retrieves the bit string, the final "mixed" value will act as if the 3DS input was directly used.

Does that seem farfetched?

camus24

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
if this is real is so awesome, but until I don't see another person reproduce this kind of connection I won't believe it...

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm sure that he has hardwired everything inside the 3DS. There's no other way.

The CCP does not interface with the other controls, it'd be a severe security flaw by Nintendo.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Could it be Nintendo left programing in for a future control attachment in the 3ds? Maybe the driver tigers with the slide pad pro connected.

2. It be weird and crazy, but maybe: Nintendo thought of making 3ds games with optional controls that don't need the touch screen and can be streamed to the Wii U screen controller?

Reactions: 1 person

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Both of those things are unpractical. Nintendo doesn't need to remain any programming in, they could just release an update for the 3DS.

In most games the touch screen isn't vital, but removing it altogheter is a long shot. It might give issues. Games are programmed with it in mind.

Also, I'm hypotizing the Circle Pad Pro has few code on its part, actually. Does anyone know if it actually works using the IR port, or if it has some kind of Bluetooth/WiFi antenna in it?

In this pic the most interesting part of the PCB is sadly hidden: http://hetima-sokuhou.ldblog.jp/archives/52220517.html

bce2aec5.jpg

EDIT: Judging by the overly simplicistic PCB, this thing communicates serially (half-duplex) with the IR port.

jimmyemunoz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This sure as hell seems very real. I say it's real. Hopefully, he will publish his method for doing it. I have an extra PSX controller sitting 10 feet away from me as I write this message :D If this modification requires cutting into your precious 3DS would any of you do it? :unsure:

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like to point out, the cable on the ps1 controller has been swapped completely for a new one. Kind of looks like a old cell phone charger

vashgs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In this example, he has most likely modified the Slide Pad attachment to send altered input codes via IR. The Slide Pad attachment itself does use the IR port on the 3DS to communicate, and it wouldn't be terribly difficult to sniff what is being sent back and forth between units and interpret it (since it can be assumed it is fairly simplistic code for speed purposes). The 3DS already accepts input from the Slide Pad expansion, so who's to say you can't further alter this input? The leg work hasn't been done to say definitively one way or the other. One thing I'd like to say in support of this video, as another user has already mentioned in this thread: The input on Nintendo handhelds is notoriously simplistic. The face buttons and directional pad (and to a less likely extent, the slide pad on the face) are probably hard-wired, but the shoulder buttons and second analog could very easily be done through spoofing the IR communication.

o51enough

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think he is just playing some form of a recording, and then memorising the order of buttons pressed and timing. He's playing it through video player to make it look live. That's my guess...

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I think he is just playing some form of a recording, and then memorising the order of buttons pressed and timing. He's playing it through video player to make it look live. That's my guess...

Please, show me where to find a video player on the 3DS that allows for both screens to be shown... Not to mention the pure replication of the controls themselves don't seem off in any way. Keep an open mind and stop assuming, people!

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
In this example, he has most likely modified the Slide Pad attachment to send altered input codes via IR. The Slide Pad attachment itself does use the IR port on the 3DS to communicate, and it wouldn't be terribly difficult to sniff what is being sent back and forth between units and interpret it (since it can be assumed it is fairly simplistic code for speed purposes). The 3DS already accepts input from the Slide Pad expansion, so who's to say you can't further alter this input? The leg work hasn't been done to say definitively one way or the other.
Simple, Nintendo wouldn't want that. Also, you can sniff known signals, but you can't just make up new ones. Why would the 3DS receive more than the CCP does via IR? I can't foresee implementing every single keypress via IR, and even if they did, there's no way for him to know what's what and how to call them ;)

One thing I'd like to say in support of this video, as another user has already mentioned in this thread: The input on Nintendo handhelds is notoriously simplistic. The face buttons and directional pad (and to a less likely extent, the slide pad on the face) are probably hard-wired, but the shoulder buttons and second analog could very easily be done through spoofing the IR communication.
Well, most probably everything was hardwired and that's it :P

vashgs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Simple, Nintendo wouldn't want that. Also, you can sniff known signals, but you can't just make up new ones. Why would the 3DS receive more than the CCP does via IR? I can't foresee implementing every single keypress via IR, and even if they did, there's no way for him to know what's what and how to call them ;)

I never claimed he was altering every keypress via IR. In fact, the rest of my post says the exact opposite of that. Sniffing via IR is very simplistic, and if you have the proper equipment, can be done in just a few minutes. Nintendo wouldn't want simple? Have you ever worked with their input systems for the DS? The GBA? How about even further back? They're the most simplistic input standards out of any device I've worked with. It'd be quick and painless to figure out which values corresponded to which buttons.

Well, most probably everything was hardwired and that's it :P

I'm still sticking with the second analog and shoulder buttons are being altered via IR manipulation. That's the only explanation for even including the Slide Pad extension in this build. The face buttons are most likely hardwired, and even that wouldn't be too difficult to accomplish. I feel as though you're talking from very little experience and making claims you can barely back up. I apologize if I'm incorrect, but that is just how it seems.

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I never claimed he was altering every keypress via IR. In fact, the rest of my post says the exact opposite of that. Sniffing via IR is very simplistic, and if you have the proper equipment, can be done in just a few minutes. Nintendo wouldn't want simple? Have you ever worked with their input systems for the DS? The GBA? How about even further back? They're the most simplistic input standards out of any device I've worked with. It'd be quick and painless to figure out which values corresponded to which buttons.
I know how those things work. I do it for a living. From your post I infered that you were talking about controlling EVERYTHING via IR.

I'm still sticking with the second analog and shoulder buttons are being altered via IR manipulation. That's the only explanation for even including the Slide Pad extension in this build. The face buttons are most likely hardwired, and even that wouldn't be too difficult to accomplish. I feel as though you're talking from very little experience and making claims you can barely back up. I apologize if I'm incorrect, but that is just how it seems.
If he sniffed them back, like you say, he would have no need for the Circle Pad at all, as the only thing the 3DS needs are the right IR inputs.

Yawn, read back a few posts before spouting things out. I've already said that hardwiring face controls is EASY.

vashgs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If he sniffed them back, like you say, he would have no need for the Circle Pad at all, as the only thing the 3DS needs are the right IR inputs.

If you look at the disassembled Slide Pad expansion, you'll see just how simplistic in design it actually is. It's perfect to house his own modifications and send back whatever input he would like. Having the Slide Pad expansion attached makes me think he's using it for some purpose, rather than using his own rig to send back the IR inputs necessary. It's more ergonomically sound to use what is already there, rather than attach your own. If you were in his situation, you know you would do the same. I have no doubt that the face buttons are hardwired, and we don't seem to be in disagreement there. I'm just saying, why would he have a device attached in this video that is in none of the others when it is serving no purpose? It doesn't make sense. He's clearly using the IR for something.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I am the cancer!!! lol