Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
PSPgo.JPG
FAQ

090603a.jpg

Welcome to the PSPgo FAQ. I created this topic so that anyone at GBAtemp will learn more about PSPgo. So let's begin.

NOTE: This frequently asked questions (or FAQs) is about PSPgo itself. For the FAQs for PSP-1000/2000/3000 series, go there.

Q: What is PSPgo?
A:
The PSP-N1000 series, commonly called PSP (PlayStation Portable) go, is the new and latest model to PSP series, made by Sony Computer Entertainment. It was unveiled on late-May 2009 as part of an June episode of Qore on the PlayStation Network, and finally announced on June 2009 during at that year E3. This system is released in North America, Europe and Asia (except Japan) on October 1 2009 (with the estimated price of 250 U.S. dollars (250 Euros in Europe)) and in Japan on November 1 2009 (with the price of 26, 800 yen including tax). PSPgo is truly pocket-sized, much like mobile phones, so it can be taken everywhere in many places.

Here is a YouTube video for Qore's PSPgo episode video:

Q: What are its features to PSPgo?
A:
Features of PSPgo includes:
  • Removal of the UMD (Universal Media Disc) drive and replaced by 16 GB of flash memory to make way for digital download content
  • Lightweight and pocket-sized
  • An easy sliding display panel
  • Game sleep function
  • Bluetooth function
  • Screen slightly smaller (3.8 inches) than PSP-1000/2000/3000 series (4.3 inches)
  • Removal of the Memory Stick Duo and replaced by Memory Stick Micro (M2)
  • Non-removable battery
  • New cradle
Q: What will happen if an sliding panel is closed?
A:
When the sliding panel of PSPgo is closed, will you see a clock or going to sleep, so there's an option for this in the 'Settings' menu. Users can also enjoy music and video when the panel is closed.

Q: What is game sleep function?
A:
Game sleep function, also known as the save states or pause function, a new feature to PSPgo that will allow you to save the game after pressing the Home (the PlayStation logo) button. While in the XMB (XrossMediaBar) firmware, you can resume the game. Here's a YouTube video from PSP Go Hacks showing game sleep function:

Q: Why is there a Bluetooth function on PSPgo?
A:
Because it will allow users to connect Bluetooth standard peripherals such as headphones and headsets, as well as the PlayStation 3 wireless controller to be used when watching video on television (TV) via PSP.

Q: What is SensMe?
A:
SensMe is a mood-based music application for PSP. It includes its channel such as 'Relax', 'Dance' and 'Upbeat'. It is compatible with PSPgo and PSP-1000/2000/3000 series.

Q: Does the video-out cable and cradle for PSP-1000/2000/3000 series compatible with PSPgo?
A:
Because of the new cradle for PSPgo, both are NOT compatible with it.

xist said:
I know that you kind of mentioned it when you talked about the cradle and peripherals, but it really must be stressed that the Go does away with a standard USB port and has a proprietary USB input instead. You get a cable when you buy the Go but if you need to hook the Go up in a few places, or lose the one you had, it'll cost $$$ to replace.
Thanks to xist for pointing me out.

Q: How much is the price for original PSP games at PlayStation Store?
A:
FireEmblemGuy said:
-Download prices vary from UMD prices significantly, depending on Sony, the publisher, and how much a physical store is selling the UMD for- many stores discount games that don' sell well while others keep them at full price.
Thanks to FireEmblemGuy for pointing his point about the price.

Q: While downloading a game on PSP, how long will it lasts?
A:
It depends on the size of PSP games. For example, downloading a Gran Turismo on your PSP takes three (3) and a half hours to download, but on your PC takes faster on the faster Internet service. (On a dial-up connection, downloading a PSP game is slower to finish, on both PSP (with Wi-Fi) and PC.)

Q: What format is the original PSP games on what I bought on the PlayStation Store?
A:
Instead of ISO format, it's in EBOOT format.

Q: Is PSPgo hacked?
A:
Yes. FreePlay used his save game exploit known as the 'Universal Hello World'. It works on all PSP models. The name of a PSP game, which is used on that exploit, is unknown. Why?
Note from FreePlay said:
NO, I *DO NOT* plan on sharing any useful details about this. I want to see how long this will fester before Sony finally figures out how to fix it. That means I won’t be sharing the files or even naming the game I used to do it.

This exploit was found on October 3 2009 and it's not fake. So here's three YouTube videos, two by FreePlay and one by MaGiXieN of the PSPGEN team.

Also, on November 2 2009, FreePlay is currently working on another PSPgo hack called eLoader. This could lead to homebrew games and applications.
From FreePlay
Making progress. My NID resolver is working flawlessly now. If I can get it to work with the eLoader source, we’ll have an eLoader for the Go.

Q: So is there a custom firmware for PSPgo to play ISOs?
A:
No. In the future, it will be a custom firmware for PSPgo.

Q: How long is the battery life on PSPgo?
A:
It takes up to three to five hours. So that's shorter than PSP-1000/2000/3000 models.

Q: What are the colours of PSPgo?
A:
Currently, there are two colours; Pearl White and Piano Black.

So that's the end for the PSPgo FAQ. Now you can discuss this topic. If there's any questions that are not answered in the first post, please post your question about PSPgo here in this topic or PM me. For the FAQs for the XMB firmware, see here.

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Antonkan, I've been waiting for you to actually post something useful. This isn't it.

Couple of things to point out:

- Download speeds on the computer, and generally on the PSP, will vary a lot depending on the internet connection. For example, someone using a computer with a dial-up connection is not going to be downloading Gran Turismo in 3 and a half hours. Probably not in 3 and a half days, for that matter.

-Download prices vary from UMD prices significantly, depending on Sony, the publisher, and how much a physical store is selling the UMD for- many stores discount games that don' sell well while others keep them at full price.

There are some spelling and grammar errors, but that's more or less acceptable if English isn't your native language.

stab244

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it might be a good idea to mention that it still only has wireless-B in it. Also, sticky?

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
i don't mean to be a dick but i get the impression that you did not write any of the content of this FAQ and that in fact, the only parts you wrote were the headings that are in bold. the answers are in clean, nice, understandable English, where the questions are written in Antonkan engrish. if i am right in assuming that the answers were written by others, could you please do the right thing and link to or credit the original authors?

antonkan

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
@FireEmblemGuy: Thanks for pointing your thoughts about the PlayStation Store. Of course, this topic doesn't have spelling and gramar errors.

@stab244: No stickies.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
I know that you kind of mentioned it when you talked about the cradle and peripherals, but it really must be stressed that the Go does away with a standard USB port and has a proprietary USB input instead. You get a cable when you buy the Go but if you need to hook the Go up in a few places, or lose the one you had, it'll cost $$$ to replace.

Additionally the talk of the PSP Go hack should be removed. It's pointless to include, is only a usermode exploit, and will have nothing to do with any eventual CFW.

And finally the relative cost of the Go needs to be featured heavily. Go buyers pay an arm and a leg more for the console, have to rely on the PSN for releases (the library is incomplete, third party companies are not obliged to post up content i.e Konami, Square-Enix) and are unable to shop around for bargains or resell/trade their games. The Go will have no exclusive games, and since the previous PSP models can play digital content, and can be expanded to massive capacities with the Photofast CR-5400 adapters, the Go offers little pro's in the way of internal memory.

Coupled with the fact it's got a small non removable battery and a 3 to 5 hour lifespan (so no spares for long journeys like the other PSP's) it means if anything it could be less portable a console.

The Go is in my opinion a lifestyle choice. Get it because you abhor the stylings of the old PSP's, have plenty of cash or just want new gadgetry. Don't get it if you want the best PSP or actually like to spend your money wisely.

synce

だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん
Trophies
XP
Country
Comoros
Pretty informative, though to be honest I never cared enough about the Go to research it... At the end of the day it just boils down to the fact it's inferior to all the other models =P

lolzed

The GBAtemp Pichu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
antonkan said:
First post of this topic is now updated.

ShatteredScreens said:
antonkan said:
Q: So is there a custom firmware for PSPgo to play ISOs?
A:
No. In the future, it will be a custom firmware for PSPgo.
You know this, how?
Yeah, I know. Official firmware can't run ISOs.
he meant about the custom firmware thing,not running ISOs.also decent FAQ,coming from you that is

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s