News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hi,

you can call me probably a Nintendo fanboy because I don't own one single console from another company (although I have played PS1/PS2 with friends). But I have been for quite some time tempted to buy a PSP because it has some games that I must play. Now I have saved enough money to by a PSP, but I am undecided what PSP I should get. The PSP Go tempts me the most but it has some annoying things that make me rethink.

Here is what I don't like about the PSP Go:

cons.png
- battery pack is not replacable
cons.png
- analog stick is in a suboptimal position
cons.png
- no UMD drive
cons.png
- you need an annoying adapter to connect a headset with the PSP Go

Here is what I like about the PSP Go:

yes.png
- 16GB internal storage space
yes.png
- slick display
yes.png
- smaller than other PSP models
yes.png
- sliding mechanism

As you see the PSP Go has both pros and cons which stands in my decisions way. I need a bit advice here from people who have experience with the PSP Go and the PSP 3000. Thanks in advance :)

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
The controls are horrible compared to a 3000, and the screen isn't necessarily better. Additionally it's nigh impossible to play when plugged into the charger (for example if you're playing for a long stint at home).

I've got a Go, but seldom use it compared to my other PSP models. Plus the battery life seems somewhat shameful compared to even my PSP 1000!

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is what I don't like about the PSP Go:

cons.png
- battery pack is not replacable - unofficially user replacable. You can but you have to take the pspgo apart.

cons.png
- analog stick is in a suboptimal position -I honestly feel like that might be a better spot than the normal PSP
cons.png
- no UMD drive - if you use CFW, then...
cons.png
- you need an annoying adapter to connect a headset with the PSP Go - definitely a con.

Here is what I like about the PSP Go:

yes.png
- 16GB internal storage space - good for storing cisos
yes.png
- slick display - agreed
yes.png
- smaller than other PSP models - more portable
yes.png
- sliding mechanism - to each their own.

Reactions: 2 people

pyromaniac123

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
Trophies
XP
Country
The controls are horrible compared to a 3000, and the screen isn't necessarily better. Additionally it's nigh impossible to play when plugged into the charger (for example if you're playing for a long stint at home).

I've got a Go, but seldom use it compared to my other PSP models. Plus the battery life seems somewhat shameful compared to even my PSP 1000!

I used to be able to get at least 5-6 hours gameplay when I had my psp 1000, I'm lucky if I get 4 out of the go.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
If your country has PSN cards ready or if you have a credit card, I don't really see a problem with digital downloads. 16GB can get about 6 -9 games.

Besides, I always felt that Sony is more supportive of digital copies. Digital PSP games work on a PS Vita as well.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks guys for your responses so far. I have added a poll to make life easier for me :)

Here is the rule. If you are willing to pirate, get the PSP Go. If you want legal copies only, then don't get the Go (unless you have another PSP with CFW for ripping UMDs) as there are quite a few good games such as Crisis Core and Birth by Sleep that aren't on PSN.

Akiranon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The PSP Go is my favourite PSP by far. I currently have two PSP 1000s, a PSP 2000 and a PSP Go and the Go defnitely gets used the most. The biggest pro for me is its portability. I can just throw it in my bag or carry it in my pocket to Uni and use it whenever I want. Another thing I really love about it is the sharpness of the screen. It's a tad sharper compared to the other PSPs I own. The final reason I bought it was because it had 16 GB of internal memory. The biggest memory card I have is a 4 GB one, so the extra storage was quite welcome. =P I don't use my UMDs anyway. I dislike the loading times and sound they produce, so I rip them and play them from internal memory.

Placement of the analogue stick is also a big plus for me. The analogue stick on the other PSPs make my thumb ache after using it for more than 10 minutes. Don't forget that the PSP Go also has Bluetooth! You can use a PS3 controller on it.

I also think that down the line the PSP Go will become pretty hard to find. It didn't sell all that well and I don't think there were that many produced, so...Who knows?

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
It's not necessarily the placement that's the issue, more that the "nub" itself is inferior. Tiny and with seemingly less "play".

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
The PSP Go is my favourite PSP by far. I currently have two PSP 1000s, a PSP 2000 and a PSP Go and the Go defnitely gets used the most. The biggest pro for me is its portability. I can just throw it in my bag or carry it in my pocket to Uni and use it whenever I want. Another thing I really love about it is the sharpness of the screen. It's a tad sharper compared to the other PSPs I own. The final reason I bought it was because it had 16 GB of internal memory. The biggest memory card I have is a 4 GB one, so the extra storage was quite welcome. =P I don't use my UMDs anyway. I dislike the loading times and sound they produce, so I rip them and play them from internal memory.

Placement of the analogue stick is also a big plus for me. The analogue stick on the other PSPs make my thumb ache after using it for more than 10 minutes. Don't forget that the PSP Go also has Bluetooth! You can use a PS3 controller on it.

I also think that down the line the PSP Go will become pretty hard to find. It didn't sell all that well and I don't think there were that many produced, so...Who knows?

I don't think that will be the case as the PSP Go isn't very good unless you fly the jolly roger and most people don't.

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I loved the Go's form, but I'm usually the odd one out with these debates.
I owned a psp 1000 and a go, and I loved the go a lot more because of it's size, and the slide. And the internal space, I also had a 8GB m2 card so I had nearly 24 gigs of space in a tiny gaming machine.

Reactions: 1 person

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In terms of headsets, it has bluetooth. I use the one for my phone and it worls fine for Skype calls. Game audio isn't ideal, but that's not what I'm using the headset for anyway. Love my Go and everything about it.

elgarta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am a GO supporter. I just like the fact that it is more compact, I prefer the control placement (Including Analog nub) and the screen. I don't like that the battery is more annoying to replace and that it doesn't seem to last very long on a charge (Lower brightness might fix this?)

Lack of UMD doesn't bother me since I only have 1 UMD disc and I have that game as an eboot anyway. Plus it comes with 16gb on-board so it's quite nice not having to fiddle with memory cards all the time. I do have a 1000 model, but the only thing I like better about it is the battery.

The analog nub's placement though is great. I couldn't play crisis core for maybe more than 20 minutes on my 1000 but I can play it for an hour + on the GO. I mainly play CC on the nub since it just feels more fluid for me

ov3rkill

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'd choose PSP3000. Playing Monster Hunter on PSP GO is really uncomfortable for me or any other game in that instance that uses the analog nub. Why not consider PS Vita as well. If you're into legit stuff, you can download most of the PSP games on the PSN store anyway. The only drawback is you can't play MH3. lol. since there's only a translation.

BasedKiliK

Salt of the Earth~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The PSP Go also has built-in bluetooth for connecting such devices, or a Dualshock3.

I dislike the Go myself. Ergonomically, its design just isn't comfortable when I hold it and makes playing certain games a real pain. Plus, I do have some major games as UMDs that I'd rather keep as UMDs due to their sheer size. Even with CFW, I don't find it all that great.

I'm currently running a PSP 3000 with a 16GB memory stick.

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The PSP Go also has built-in bluetooth for connecting such devices, or a Dualshock3.

I dislike the Go myself. Ergonomically, its design just isn't comfortable when I hold it and makes playing certain games a real pain. Plus, I do have some major games as UMDs that I'd rather keep as UMDs due to their sheer size. Even with CFW, I don't find it all that great.

Do you hold it with you're finger tips on the shoulder buttons?

BasedKiliK

Salt of the Earth~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

80% of the time, yes.

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

80% of the time, yes.
That's your problem then.

It will feel a bit weird to start with but if you wrap your index fingers right around the unit it is comfortable for hours and you will find the analogue stick is then in the perfect position. You will then find your self operating the shoulder buttons about half way down your index fingers. The design choice of the squidgy shoulder buttons start to make sense when the go is held like this

It will feel a bit strange but stick with it. I got use to it very quickly and now find the go very comfortable during long game play.

mudassirul

Trophies
XP
Country
If you get a psp go for cheap then i'd recomend it although accessories may be hard to. I grabbed an av cable for cheap though I never used it. I prefer the go because it is pocketable and I ebayed a 16gb m2 for cheap (totaling 32gb)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Welcome!