Hacking PSP 3000 motherboard/firmware

Miss Panda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok I know nothing about PSP's. I have never even played one. Now I have read and read and read. On wiki on here, bloody everywhere.

Now IF someone was to buy a new psp3000 from a UK shop (amazon uk) in the next couple of weeks..
1. Is there pretty much a guarantee that it will come with firmware 6.39? Or is there any kind of likelihood that it will be earlier or later firmware?
2. Is much known about the likelihood of getting one motherboard over another? Does it vary by region, or is it the larger the number the more recent the motherboard?
Specifically in order to avoid 09g, is this the latest?

Thanks
smile.gif

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
You'll likely get something between 6.30 - 6.38 (up to the current 6.39 is hackable). You'll also likely get 9g, which will prevent a perma hack. However, right now, the lite hacks have almost the same functionality as the perma hacks so you're not getting shafted or anything. Just a brief delay is the only real difference.
smile.gif

Additional note:
The firmware/module set can vary quite a lot based on how fast your store sells merchandise.

Example: (couple of weeks ago -- PS3 purchase experience)
Went to a busy store -- got a 3.60 PS3, less than 2 month old firmware. Returned it.
Went to a non-busy store the next day -- got a 3.41 firmware PS3, about a year old firmware. Happiness.

Lesson learned: shop at a crappy, uncompetitive store that is barely staying in business, even if it costs more.
(or buy used)
tongue.gif

Xist's advice about shopping for bundles is also excellent. Look for the God of War or Peace Walker bundles, for instance (if they're even sold in the UK, that is).

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
If you buy any PSP now from new it'll definitely be able to run a CFW. As Snailface points out though it may not be able to run a permanent CFW, so you may have to restart it every time you power off (takes about 5-10 secs).

Unless you're 100% on getting a new one, i'd scour some trading forums or Gumtree for one of the Limited Edition 2000's. That way you'd know you were getting a fully hackable PSP. Alternatively all PSP Go's can run the permanent version of the current PRO firmware line as they're all 05G's.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Or, you can go for a 1000 series like I have that is 01g and thus, can install any CFW you may choose to use.

A fully hackable 2000 series is the best you can get though. It has the extra RAM that can be utilized by certain homebrews, and a slimmer design that people tend to like (although I like the bulkier PSP).

Any PSP you get will be hackable to some extent in terms of installing CFW. It's a fantastic time to get a PSP.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
The trouble with 1000's are that many are knackered nowadays due to age and use. Definitely see before you buy or buy cheap.

Miss Panda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Awww thanks for all this fellas.
smile.gif
I really am still not sure if I should do this. I did look at the PSPGo but the screen is smaller and I don't like the hand position. I'm leaning towards the PSP 3000 because 1. Even if I went second hand there isn't much in it price wise and 2. Because it is supposed to have better graphics according to wiki. Also I want to use it for comics.

I don't even know what games there are for it.
ph34r.gif

They are 125GBP's on Amazon uk. A second hand one in decent condition from somewhere reputable will cost me near 100GBP's with p+p. It seems worth paying the extra for piece of mind. Nintendo ds's just look so easy in comparison. This is like learning a whole new language.
blush.gif

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Miss Panda said:
Awww thanks for all this fellas.
smile.gif
I really am still not sure if I should do this. I did look at the PSPGo but the screen is smaller and I don't like the hand position. I'm leaning towards the PSP 3000 because 1. Even if I went second hand there isn't much in it price wise and 2. Because it is supposed to have better graphics according to wiki. Also I want to use it for comics.

I don't even know what games there are for it.
ph34r.gif

They are 125GBP's on Amazon uk. A second hand one in decent condition from somewhere reputable will cost me near 100GBP's with p+p. It seems worth paying the extra for piece of mind. Nintendo ds's just look so easy in comparison. This is like learning a whole new language.
blush.gif
The PSP is the most easily hacked console now, you won't believe it! It's even easier than the DS.
yaypsp.gif

Really, because of signed homebrew, it's just a drag-and drop affair now.

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
hacking a PSP is as easy as updating the acekard's firmware.
you put the file in, run it, follow the instructions and you're done.

As for which psp to buy, I say get a GO
with the psp 3000 I needed a hand grip because hand will cramp after an hour, but with the PSP GO I didn't need a hand grip
and the 16GB will come in handy, psp games are pretty big

Miss Panda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Screen is too small RoMee.
frown.gif
I don't know what you mean re: a hand grip for the 3000. Do you have a link to a picture?

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Miss Panda said:
Screen is too small RoMee.
frown.gif
I don't know what you mean re: a hand grip for the 3000. Do you have a link to a picture?

in the end it's up to you
but I own both and I really prefer the PSP GO over the PSP 3K
with the new analog location it feels more like the ps3 controller, and that made it a lot more comfortable

here's my PSP 3k and PSP GO
psp.JPG
go.JPG

there wasn't enough of a difference in screen size for me
draft_lens16240271module139059941photo_1291805762psp-go-vs-3000.jpg

Miss Panda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for those RoMee.
smile.gif
I thought you meant like stickers with bumps on or something to stop your hands slipping off.
ph34r.gif

EDIT: I've taken the plunge, second hand with ancient firmware on it (old firmware is good yes). I hope I haven't just thrown money away.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Are you able to handle it and insert a memory stick? If so yes, if not no, as there was never any need to document the 07/09G divide until recently and compared to the old days the PSP scene is very quiet.

And the controls on the Go are noticeably inferior to the regular PSP's...
frown.gif

Miss Panda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I was editing as you wrote that see what I've done. On the post before yours in bold.
biggrin.gif
And re your question I've got a ds with a DSTWO and I modded my wii so hopefullly......

Ok so now to navigate the world of weird Sony memory stick thingys

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Just post your firmware that you get and we can go from there. Where did you buy from?

Miss Panda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
xist said:
Just post your firmware that you get and we can go from there. Where did you buy from?
I already know it.
V4.05
and
MAC 0001

I got it online from one of those second hand places that swap chav possessions stuff for cash.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Edit: Read through this first before anything: http://gbatemp.net/t268289-psp-hacking-mod...-a-q-start-here

Excellent beginners guide courtesy of Rydian: http://gbatemp.net/t293978-how-to-softmod-hack-your-psp

I would suggest using 6.20 PRO-B7. The entire guide to installation is there. Fantastic stuff. I followed it just recently myself. Whether the permanent patch will work or not, if I'm mistaken, is totally dependent on your model (01g, 02g, etc.), though you can test the permanent patch beforehand too with no harm done via a convenient testing system included with the patch.

Miss Panda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks Nathan
I have been constantly referfing to both of those while deciding whether or not to buy a psp 3000.
smile.gif

Please can someone clarify (the sony online manual is a pain) can I use BOTH M2 cards and Memory Stick Pro Duo Cards.
I want to place an order quickish.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4