Gaming PSP 2000, accidentially updated normally.

Gaisuto

Lose 2 Levels.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I just did it. 5.03 installed fine. 5.00 M33-6 installed just fine.
But the Gen-D part of your install isn't working, it's showing up as corrupted. I saw your thread, it says to just reinstall the pack but it's still showing up as corrupted.

What exactly do I need? Also for future prevention of this, is there a way to play future UMD discs and skipping the update to ensure this never happens again?

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Gaisuto said:
Okay, I just did it. 5.03 installed fine. 5.00 M33-6 installed just fine.
But the Gen-D part of your install isn't working, it's showing up as corrupted. I saw your thread, it says to just reinstall the pack but it's still showing up as corrupted.

What exactly do I need? Also for future prevention of this, is there a way to play future UMD discs and skipping the update to ensure this never happens again?
What you do is go on your memory stick and delete the UPDATE folder, then rename the GEN D3 folder to UPDATE. That fixes it. However, I personally recommend you install 5.50 GEN-D, then upgrade to GEN-D2. D3 has save corruption issues with existing saves. I realized this when my Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles save was showing as corrupted in GEN-D3 from upgrading from D2. I downgraded to D2 and all was good, so I recommend you do that.

As for skipping updates, my installer pack installs Ultimate VSH Menu. What you should do is press select on the XMB, and change a few things. These are a tune-up and a fix for your problem:
Change CPU Clock Game to 333/166 (CPU Clock VSH should still be Default)
Change UMD ISO Mode to M33 Driver
Change Hide MAC Address to Enabled (Optional)
Change Hide UMD Update to Enabled
Then, just go to Exit, and restart the PSP. Voila!

As for network update... I think GEN-D3 blocks network update, but I don't know of a plugin that will block it.

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
Skyline969 said:
As for network update... I think GEN-D3 blocks network update, but I don't know of a plugin that will block it.
d3 updates via network to latest gen firmware (doesn't exist yet) like with m33 when it was still developed
you also can't accidentally install an ofw on gen d3 via eboot (haven't tested with disk but should be same) because it registers as 9.90 so the ofw update will not open...

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
mercluke said:
Skyline969 said:
d3 updates via network to latest gen firmware (doesn't exist yet) like with m33 when it was still developed
you also can't accidentally install an ofw on gen d3 via eboot (haven't tested with disk but should be same) because it registers as 9.90 so the ofw update will not open...
It does that with GEN-D2 though, I tried UMD Update from Midnight Club 3: Dub Edition and it said my software was 9.20.

Gaisuto

Lose 2 Levels.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Alright, doing that and GEN-D2 is installed now. But I have another question about it if you don't mind.
Before it said the System Firmware was 5.50 M33 ect, now it says GEN-D2. Did it overwrite the M33 or are they both simultaneously installed? And you mentioned a GEN-D3. Should I bother updating right away?

DarkSpace

Custom member title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Essentially Gen has overwritten the m33 firmware. D3 is known to have bugs with saves. I haven't had any issue on my psp with D3

Edit; It's D3 not D#

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
DarkSpace said:
Essentially Gen has overwritten the m33 firmware. D3 is known to have bugs with saves. I haven't had any issue on my psp with D3

Edit; It's D3 not D#
Not essentially. The GEN-D installer formatted your flashes and installed 5.50 GEN-D from a blank PSP NAND. The GEN-D2 updater patched files on the NAND. Either way, there is no dual-firmware. It's GEN-D2 and GEN-D2 only. It's like M33 was never on there.

Posts merged

QUOTE(Gaisuto @ Jan 12 2010, 08:35 PM) So what was the point of installing M33 in the first place then if it was just going to get overwritten?
It's because it's been tested that GEN-D cannot be installed directly from ChickHEN or MHUSpeed. It must be installed from an existing custom firmware.

DarkSpace

Custom member title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure that you needed to go through m33 in order to run the update for gen. I think that you need certain files installed before you can go to gen.
Sorry for saying essentially. I'm a little rusty.

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Gaisuto said:
And is GEN just better then M33?
In one word, yes.
Long answer: It's because you don't need to decrypt new games. GEN has that built-in, so new games work. Well... not all. Some new games (Like KH:BBS) must still be hacked, but once they are, I'm sure that a new custom firmware will be made by team GEN to include compatibility.

Gaisuto

Lose 2 Levels.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Alright if that's the case then I'm set for a while.
smile.gif

Thanks for all the help.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr