PSOne games begin appearing on Android Market

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Terminator02, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Terminator02
    OP

Member Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

United States
    [​IMG]
    As both Europe and North America count down the (still unknown) days until the launch of Sony Ericsson's Xperia Play smart phone, PSOne games compatible with the "PlayStation Phone" have started popping up on the Android Market. Five games, in fact, including Cool Boarders 2, Destruction Derby, Jumping Flash, MediEvil 2 and Syphon Filter. That's right -- the Play is ready to, er, play like it's circa 1995-97.

All of the games are selling for $6.41 ($6) -- the same going price as on PSN. MediEvil 2 and Syphon Filter are available in five languages (English, French, German, Italian and Spanish) while the rest are English-only releases. They're also all (predictably) platform-locked to the Xperia Play (Sony Ericsson R800i). All this one day after Google removed the PSOne emulator, PSX4Droid, attributing the action to a Content Policy violation.[/p]
    [​IMG] Source (Joystiq)

definitely didn't see that one coming

2. Nathan Drake

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    How many more devices do I need to be able to play PSX games on at this point?

In all seriousness, no surprise here. Of course Sony is going to protect their sales and boost them in anyway possible.

3. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    You can still get FPse on the market for (most i guess) Android phones. It was better than PSX4Droid anyways. [​IMG]

4. Terminator02
    OP

United States
    but it didn't work on as many games IIRC

5. FireEmblemGuy

Member FireEmblemGuy Finally hit 1000 posts

United States
    I find it amusing that there's not much Sony can do other than complain to Google when it comes to PSX emulation on Android devices. For anyone who already owns the games they want to play, it'd be very hard for Sony to come up with a decent lawsuit against people who'd rather use emulators than purchase the games again, especially if the games can only be played on certain Sony devices.

6. Fear Zoa

Member Fear Zoa This... This is the world we live in

United States
    I give it a week before someone over at xda gets it on the other phones.....then I give it another day till its implemented into cyanogenmod

7. TehSkull

Member TehSkull Living the life

United States
    They'd better. As amped as I was for the Xperia Play, but if it doesn't come to AT&T soon, I'm gonna say fuck it and get an Atrix.

8. FireEmblemGuy

Member FireEmblemGuy Finally hit 1000 posts

United States
    Really all depends on what it's using to check what phone you're running it on. Given all the talk Sony was doing about the PlayStation Suite, I doubt it's going to stay Xperia Play exclusive, and probably checks for some software build on the phone, or something. Hell if I know, but I wouldn't worry too much about it.

9. Terminator02
    OP

United States
    it's not like it requires some hacking, just download the .apk from some random site and sideload it, *tada*