Misc PS5 M2SDD quit working in PS5

Danster75

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
This is exactly what I fear about the PS5 ... that the internal SSD will go to silicon heaven.

For PS4, PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro (perhaps even the previous generation), it is possible to perform a complete recovery with recovery pup and exchange the disk for a new one. But is it user-possible with PS5? it isn't, so if your internal SSD goes out, you have a big brick.

Hopefully this will change with the PS5 Pro / PS6 because the price of the device is high, so it would be good to be able to replace the internal SSD disk, even if it were to be one of their special certified disks.

I have read a lot of experiences about how SSDs have a long lifespan and there is no need to deal with lifespans, but here is real evidence that SSDs can die very soon.

That's also the reason why I have a 2TB WD sn850x installed and all data moved from the PS5's ssd to the WD. By installing games to the WD I keep the usage to the onboard ssd as low as possible. Writes to the internal ssd can be spread over a very large area of free space to the wear will be kept to a minimum.
I also turned off the creation of trophy screenshots and videos. The PS5 also keeps recording (and thus writing, presumably to the internal ssd) recent gameplay so you have the option to view and save recent gameplay but there's no option to disable this AFAIK.

Maybe this won't matter at all in the long run and we'll be playing the PS6 before the internal ssd is even close to failing..

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's also the reason why I have a 2TB WD sn850x installed and all data moved from the PS5's ssd to the WD. By installing games to the WD I keep the usage to the onboard ssd as low as possible. Writes to the internal ssd can be spread over a very large area of free space to the wear will be kept to a minimum.
I also turned off the creation of trophy screenshots and videos. The PS5 also keeps recording (and thus writing, presumably to the internal ssd) recent gameplay so you have the option to view and save recent gameplay but there's no option to disable this AFAIK.

Maybe this won't matter at all in the long run and we'll be playing the PS6 before the internal ssd is even close to failing..

Same here, I have all data on the M.2 SSD Storage

BondeDoDigao

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Evening, friends!

Hello all....
I bought my son a 2tb Seagate Firecuda 530 m2ssd for his ps5.
I installed it for him 7 months ago and has been running fine until last night.
It seems the m2ssd quit working. It won't repair the database on the m2 nor boot up out of safemode.
So it's in a safe mode loop. I took it out today and reinstalled the ps5 firmware and it back to normal.

Now that I had to do this, I have seen many videos and articles that a m2 will brick the ps5.
So there won't be another going into the ps5 until Sony fixes their issue! And yes it is their issue and not the 4 or 5 different hdd companies that make these drives..

But my real concern now is the m2ssd dead? It is not recognized in my pc at all.
Is there something I have to do out of the normal to make sure this m2 is alive or dead?

Thank You!!!
It can`t be a coincidence. Got my Firecuda 530 2tb with original heatsink installed in 03/10/2022. It was working good so far. For the last 3 weeks I was playing TW3 (Next Gem DLC). From 01/01/23 to 01/07/23 I did a break in gaming routine because of work. Today 01/07/23, 40 minutes ago I turned on my PS5 to install Jedi Fallen Order and then I got a lot of notifications of "unable to synchronize data" from several games. All my games were still showing in the main menu. Worried about it, I went to storage config:

Initially the Firecuda 530 was showing as a storage device, but the system could not show the storage size (total, used, free). Then I went deep to see if I could see the list of games directly from the storage. The loading icon of PS5 rolled forever. Couldn't see a thing

I did a Restart the console and then, automatically It began the corrupted/recovery file routine. In the end, the console doesn't recognize the ssd anymore. Tomorrow I will test the firecuda on my laptop, but assuming your scenario and mine, your usage time and mine, I think the problem might be the ssd.

Sorry for bad english. No translate at all. I'm trying to practice mine.

Last edited by BondeDoDigao,
Reactions: Cylent1

Cylent1

Community Smart Ass!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Evening, friends!

It can`t be a coincidence. Got my Firecuda 530 2tb with original heatsink installed in 03/10/2022. It was working good so far. For the last 3 weeks I was playing TW3 (Next Gem DLC). From 01/01/23 to 01/07/23 I did a break in gaming routine because of work. Today 01/07/23, 40 minutes ago I turned on my PS5 to install Jedi Fallen Order and then I got a lot of notifications of "unable to synchronize data" from several games. All my games were still showing in the main menu. Worried about it, I went to storage config:

Initially the Firecuda 530 was showing as a storage device, but the system could not show the storage size (total, used, free). Then I went deep to see if I could see the list of games directly from the storage. The loading icon of PS5 rolled forever. Couldn't see a thing

I did a Restart the console and then, automatically It began the corrupted/recovery file routine. In the end, the console doesn't recognize the ssd anymore. Tomorrow I will test the firecuda on my laptop, but assuming your scenario and mine, your usage time and mine, I think the problem might be the ssd.

Sorry for bad english. No translate at all. I'm trying to practice mine.
Sorry this happened to you also.
While I agree with everything you said, I refuse to believe the issue is the ssd's considering that seagate is not the only brand failing while installed in the PS5. SONY needs to fix their shit!!!

Reactions: BondeDoDigao

BondeDoDigao

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Sorry this happened to you also.
While I agree with everything you said, I refuse to believe the issue is the ssd's considering that seagate is not the only brand failing while installed in the PS5. SONY needs to fix their shit!!!
In a reddit forum, there are many users from different brands claiming that this problem might be due to bad shutdown (blackout, peak power, etc), specially at sleep mode.

I agree this is Sony fault, but shouldn't companies have tested this scenario before claiming its product is a PS5 ready?

Last edited by BondeDoDigao,
Reactions: fringle

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
In a reddit forum, there are many users from different brands claiming that this problem migjr be due to bad shutdown (blackout, peak power, etc), specially at sleep mode.

I agree this is Sony fault, but shouldn't companies have tested this cenario before claiming its product is a PS5 ready?
I think ps5 ready for the drive just means that it meets the form factor and speed specifications or anything hardware wise. Anything software side would be up to sony to confirm if the ps5 is ready for the drive. Just be lucky that the drives are failing within the manufactures warranty period and will for the most part be replaced without question or worry. My kids have had a 1tb samsung 980pro in theirs since it was available and so far no issues with it. It's been through a few power outages while in rest mode so the failure rates don't seem consistent if rest mode is to blame.

Edit:
Wondering if it has something to do with maybe leaving games suspended while rest mode is activated? I know my kids always close any open games or apps before activating rest mode so this could be a possible trigger.

Last edited by fringle,
Reactions: BondeDoDigao

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.