Hacking PS3 with Complete PS2 and PSX Support

Majorix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys.

I am willing to buy a second hand PS3 with the intention of playing all PS3 games and some PS2 games (and maybe some PSX games too). I was looking at Sony's official list of PS2 compatible models, it says that CECHB01, CECHA01 and CECHE01 (20, 60 and 80GB respectively) support "limited" PS2 games on discs. My questions:

1. Is it really "limited"? Can I still play all PS2 games on that device? Did the hacking community work its magic here? Do they need to be on disc or can I use iso too?

2. Is it only those 3 fat models? And does it matter if it is 20, 60 or 80 gigs?

3. What about PSX games? Are they all supported?

4. Can you point me to a hacking guide for installing necessary tools (like Multiman and stuff, but I have no idea!)

Last edited by Majorix,

wartutor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cecha is almost all backwards compatability with little to no non working titles due to having ps2 chips embedded within its motherboard. Ceche is emulated backwards compatability with only the rx chip "i think if memory serves" witch has "limited compatability" i didnt know cechb had any backwards compatability with ps2.

Last edited by wartutor,
Reactions: Majorix

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys.

I am willing to buy a second hand PS3 with the intention of playing all PS3 games and some PS2 games (and maybe some PSX games too). I was looking at Sony's official list of PS2 compatible models, it says that CECHB01, CECHA01 and CECHE01 (20, 60 and 80GB respectively) support "limited" PS2 games on discs. My questions:

1. Is it really "limited"? Can I still play all PS2 games on that device? Did the hacking community work its magic here? Do they need to be on disc or can I use iso too?

2. Is it only those 3 fat models? And does it matter if it is 20, 60 or 80 gigs?

3. What about PSX games? Are they all supported?

4. Can you point me to a hacking guide for installing necessary tools (like Multiman and stuff, but I have no idea!)

If you want to play PS2 games and PSX FULLY then 60 gig of fat model would be your best choice because 60 gig is a full BC system of both. You can use iso as backup games. No discs are needed.

Make sure fat PS3 with 60GB must be on 3.41 FW or 3.55 FW to hack! The higher FW to hack will be different guide and a little bit complicate for newbie. The 3.41 or 3.55 is very easy and perfect for newbie.

Once you have 3.41 or 3.55 then the guide is for you:

Grab the latest at http://rebug.me

then follow here:
How to Install CFW on PS3 (Method 1):
  • Required - PS3 on 3.55 firmware (update to 3.55 OFW if on lower version). In the XMB, go to Settings ---> System Settings ---> System Information to find out which firmware you are on.
  • Required - USB drive, formatted FAT32. (I suggest using fat32format)
  • Required - A CFW you wish to install.

_________
Step 1

• Place the CFW into the USB drive, in the following folder: x:/PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP. Be sure the file is named correctly.
Step 2

• Put the USB drive into the PS3.
Step 3

• In the XMB, go to Settings ---> System Update, and be sure to install the update from the Storage Media (USB drive), and NOT THE INTERNET.
Step 4

• On the XMB, you should now see two new folders in the XMB, *Install Package Files and */app_home/PS3_GAME/.

How to Install CFW on PS3 (Method 2):
  • Required -S3 on 3.55 firmware (update to 3.55 OFW if on lower version). In the XMB, go to Settings ---> System Settings ---> System Information to find out which firmware you are on.
  • Required - USB drive, formatted FAT32. (I suggest using fat32format)
  • Required - A CFW you wish to install..

_________
Step 1

• Place the CFW into the USB drive, in the following folder:x:/PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP. Be sure the file is named correctly.
Step 2

• Put the USB drive into the PS3
Step 3

• Start the PS3 in Recovery Mode (hold down power while turning on, and let go after third beep). In the Recovery Menu, select option 6 (System Update) to install.
Step 4

• On the XMB, you should now see two new folders in the XMB, *Install Package Files and */app_home/PS3_GAME/.

Enjoy! Easy!

Shady Guy Jose

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Small issue here: only NTSC models have full compatibility. PAL models are backwards compatible, but they lack the Emotion Engine hardware, emulating it in software instead, which leads to issues with some games. PSX games should pose no problem

wartutor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want to play PS2 games and PSX FULLY then 60 gig of fat model would be your best choice because 60 gig is a full BC system of both. You can use iso as backup games. No discs are needed.

Make sure fat PS3 with 60GB must be on 3.41 FW or 3.55 FW to hack! The higher FW to hack will be different guide and a little bit complicate for newbie. The 3.41 or 3.55 is very easy and perfect for newbie.

Once you have 3.41 or 3.55 then the guide is for you:

Grab the latest at http://rebug.me

then follow here:

Enjoy! Easy!
I dont think it matters what firmware its on as the latest is now exploited and hackable.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont think it matters what firmware its on as the latest is now exploited and hackable.

No, that's not what I am say.. read above again. The 3.55 and 3.41 was the easiest hacked to use for newbies. And the latest firmware can be hackable but you cannot do what 3.41 and 3.55 can do. Thanks to HFW aka hybrid firmware. You will need all the necessary tools (HAN and the like).

However... The 3.41 and 3.55 was all you need to get hackable is the link I already gave above.. No tools need. HFW requires all the necessary tools for 4.84 and 4.85 fw. That's difference. :)

Last edited by spotanjo3,

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Small issue here: only NTSC models have full compatibility. PAL models are backwards compatible, but they lack the Emotion Engine hardware, emulating it in software instead, which leads to issues with some games.

I managed to get hold of a Japanese CECHA and also a DECHA.
But I'm too scared to use them in case they die.

And the latest firmware can be hackable but you cannot do what 3.41 and 3.55 can do. Thanks to HFW aka hybrid firmware. You will need all the necessary tools (HAN and the like).

You only use HAN if you have metldr2. If you have the older metldr then you can just use ps3exploit to install CFW and it will do everything a 3.55 console can. They switched over from metldr to metldr2 during the CECH-2500, so when you buy that model you have to be careful if you want to run CFW. All older models are fine, all later models are not.

FATs are all older so it's a waste of time trying to get one on 3.41 or 3.55, certainly don't pay extra for it. It literally doesn't matter.

Last edited by smf,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Bakerman vs. Wario