PS3 "red light of death"

Discussion in 'PS3 - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by britain4, May 14, 2017.

1. britain4
    OP

britain4 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 16, 2014
    Sheffield
    I have a 60GB launch model PS3 which I've done the thermal paste on and under the IHS, and a fan mod. I'm trying to find another suitable candidate for a spare one which has to be cheap, work and have an intact warranty sticker (otherwise id be worried about getting a dodgy reflowed one).

Anyway there's one going cheap at the moment where the guy says he can "sometimes get it started for a short period" but then it shuts off with a "red light of death".

Assuming the seller is to be believed, that doesn't sound like a YLOD to me if it starts up for a short time? Sounds more like it's overheating and shutting off.

The ad sounds like they've had it a long time.

I've sent them a message asking if it boots up and if the warranty label is intact but I thought I'd check here just in case he doesn't reply before taking a gamble on it.

Last edited by britain4, May 14, 2017
  2. britain4
    OP

britain4 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 16, 2014
    Sheffield
    OK the guy says it boots up sometimes but not for long and it does show a yellow light before it shuts off. It's not sounding good and sounds like the beginning of a permanent YLOD to me so i think I'll wait for another

On the plus side it has warranty sticker on it but I'm not forking out for a reball and I've already got one to reflow so.