PS3, iPhone hacker sets sights on Windows phones

Magoo222

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
GeoHotz is at it again, this time with Windows 7. In a twist to the now-familiar tale though, Microsoft seem to be supporting the idea!

QUOTE said:
"Earlier this week, hacker George Hotz, who is better known as "GeoHot" announced that he was beginning work on a jailbreak for Microsoft's Windows Phone 7 platform. Shortly thereafter, Brandon Watson--who runs developer platform product management for Microsoft, offered Hotz a Windows Phone over Twitter, saying "#geohot if you want to build cool stuff on #wp7, send me e-mail and the team will give you a phone--let dev creativity flourish #wp7dev.""

Ketchup

NiGHtS

Trophies
XP
Country
Wow!
smile.gif
good news, and surprising to see that windows are opening up...(geddit?)

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess it's a smart move on Microsoft's behalf. If a system is hackable it'll get hacked eventually, giving the guy who may possibly hack it free stuff just helps him get a better view on the company.

It's probably just more of a bunch of lulz towards Sony, since Microsoft's Xbox 360 now, apparently, as "the best anti-piracy" of the consoles this gen (since you need specific methods to make sure you don't get banned).

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Actually, I just see this as a buy-out from Microsoft to let him not exploit their system.

They'll probably stuff him with free smartphones or something to keep him quiet.

I'm pretty sure that MS doesn't want to have their WP7 any more open than it is already now.
That "let dev creativity fluorish" probably means that they want him to create some Apps for the WP Marketplace!
rofl.gif

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, never would have expected that.
I guess if he's not pirating Microsoft products, this will help to sell more phones.

Smart move, Microsoft.

Slyakin said:
Oh wow, I can't believe that by stealing ideas, he's suddenly famous.

What a prick.
Slaykin

y u so jelly?

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
_Chaz_ said:
Wow, never would have expected that.
I guess if he's not pirating Microsoft products, this will help to sell more phones.

Smart move, Microsoft.

Slyakin said:

What a prick.
Slaykin

y u so jelly?
cuz he just found the keys, while it was some work, fail0verflow pretty much did everything to make the ps3 like it is now, and geohot gets pretty much all the credit

metamaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
SifJar said:
Slyakin said:

What a prick.
He's been famous for quite a long time. Well before the PS3 anyway.

He created the first hardware unlock for the iPhone when it was still new. He then created Purplera1n, Purplesn0w, Blackra1n and Blacksn0w, all of which used exploits found by him. He later discovered the Limera1n bootrom exploit, which led to Limera1n (made by him) and permanent jailbreaking to all current device (tethered). He then posted the PS3's keys and created a method to sign PS3 ELFs.
He may be arrogant, but he's good. He's earned his fame.

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did I miss someting. Werent' Windows7 phones already unlocked with Chevron, and the encryption on the Marketplace apps was already broken as well?

Offering him a job or reaching out to him is sorta moot. I think a better incentive would be to develop a bug hunter bounty. Thus people who like hacking their phones could be financially rewarded for doing so, and disclosing those vulnerabilties to MS first in exchange for the bounty.

Though I think Geohotz falls under the 'ego is too big' category. The fail0verflow team more falls into the 'hacking for the fun/sake of it' kind of thing. I think in these cases monetary bounties or job offers really won't work.

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
metamaster said:
SifJar said:
Slyakin said:

What a prick.
He's been famous for quite a long time. Well before the PS3 anyway.

He created the first hardware unlock for the iPhone when it was still new. He then created Purplera1n, Purplesn0w, Blackra1n and Blacksn0w, all of which used exploits found by him. He later discovered the Limera1n bootrom exploit, which led to Limera1n (made by him) and permanent jailbreaking to all current device (tethered). He then posted the PS3's keys and created a method to sign PS3 ELFs.
He may be arrogant, but he's good. He's earned his fame.

He didn't find the crash used in Blacksn0w.
iH8sn0w did.

metamaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
iFish said:
He didn't find the crash used in Blacksn0w.
iH8sn0w did.
Oh yeah, I missed that. Doesn't change a lot though, he found the implementation.

But what exactly would Geohot do on Windows phones? It's already been cracked.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
doyama said:
Did I miss someting. Werent' Windows7 phones already unlocked with Chevron, and the encryption on the Marketplace apps was already broken as well?

Offering him a job or reaching out to him is sorta moot. I think a better incentive would be to develop a bug hunter bounty. Thus people who like hacking their phones could be financially rewarded for doing so, and disclosing those vulnerabilties to MS first in exchange for the bounty.

Though I think Geohotz falls under the 'ego is too big' category. The fail0verflow team more falls into the 'hacking for the fun/sake of it' kind of thing. I think in these cases monetary bounties or job offers really won't work.
Chevron has officially been pulled, and I thought that the piracy thing wasn't released yet? Anyway, there's updates. He can help them make those more secure. Anyway, they never offered him a job, just a free phone.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn