Hacking ps3 internal hdd on the outside?

Gobnoblin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
soooooo just a little curious what with the new dongles and back up managers etc...... the limitations on the usb drive not being able to play anything with individual files over 4gigs... i know you can upgrade the internal drive with a larger 2.5 inch but they only go up to 600 gigs or whatever and with games being so large that doesn't get you very many...... wouldn't it be possible to get a 2 terabyte hdd for a normal comp and hook it up to the internal bay ? just using longer sata cord and power supply cord ? it'd be ugly as sin but who care really? i don't know maybe i'm crazy..... has anyone tried this? is it even possible? theories? advice? first hand experiences? thanks for any input.... I'll try to figure it out when my do dicky dongler shows up but would love any advice from people already in the know..

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't have a PS3, You won't be able to use the internal power. 3.5" drives require 12v+5v while 2.5" drives just require just 5v. You may be able to use external power, but the large drives require longe times to spin up which may effect it being detected and will probably need to be powered on at exactly the same time as the PS3.

Then you have the 4K sector issue, you'll need to make sure it's aligned.

You can get 1TB 2.5" drives, they are only £100 here with a USB3 enclosure. You then sell the enclosure and get a cheap 1TB drive.

Apparently you can also run the games from DVD-R's, there's a post on the sunrise forums.

ocdetective

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
tk_saturn said:
You can get 1TB 2.5" drives, they are only £100 here with a USB3 enclosure. You then sell the enclosure and get a cheap 1TB drive.
Not sure a 1TB 2.5'' drive would fit inside the PS3 drive bay.

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure about big drive, and other issues it may have but there has been a adapter made for the fat ps3 to use a 3.5" hdd.

Edit: "Xecuter PS3 Hyperdrive"

Some, if not all 1tb 2.5" are a bit taller. 9.5mm tall is what ps3 accept... i think.

Also some external portable drive (wd) do not use sata to usb adaters but it is built in to the hdd... so you may want to do some research if u find some cheap external ones.

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gobnoblin said:
not too much of an issue if it fits inside the ps3 so long as the ps3 can power it ..... just looking to maximize internal storage for the games with single files larger than 4gb.... exploring options to find the optimal solutions for backup manager

The issue there is simply the file system. The PS3 will only read FAT32 formatted mass storage. FAT32 has a physical limitation per file of 4GB. It simply cannot handle a larger file. Period.

The internal HDD of the PS3 is formatted with a current-day file system, such as ReiserFS or HFS+ or even ext3/4. I honestly do not know nor care enough to find out. These file systems can support files larger than current day hard drives.

On top of that, games will rip and load much faster to the internal drive. Some games must be on the internal drive to even work. Your best bet to getting the largest and cheapest solution is to try and find a SATA extender that fits inside the PS3. Then just get an external power source for the drive, and you're set. Just remember to turn on the drive prior to the PS3.

keine

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure the 4gB file limit on the external will be resolved soon. Either by a method of splitting up files...like on Wii...or a new file system. I think this week the original team Jailbreak was going to release some more news, too. Finger crossed on PSX1/PSX2 from HD and solution to this problem.

Gobnoblin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
not too much of an issue if it fits inside the ps3 so long as the ps3 can power it ..... just looking to maximize internal storage for the games with single files larger than 4gb.... exploring options to find the optimal solutions for backup manager

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OrGoN3 said:
The internal HDD of the PS3 is formatted with a current-day file system, such as ReiserFS or HFS+ or even ext3/4. I honestly do not know nor care enough to find out. These file systems can support files larger than current day hard drives.

Not that it matters, but I had read that the file system is a modified version of ext3. SPUFS (synergistic processin unit file system)

Edit: actually it may not be ext3 as that is opensource. .. ... .... ......? i have no idea.

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
wtfisausername said:
OrGoN3 said:

Not that it matters, but I had read that the file system is a modified version of ext3. SPUFS (synergistic processin unit file system)
What about formating the an external HDD with the filesystem used by the PS3's internal HDD? Why isn't this considered?

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SpaceJump said:
What about formating the an external HDD with the filesystem used by the PS3's internal HDD? Why isn't this considered?

It doesn't work. PS3 is made to only accept fat32 filesystem externally. The SPUFS filesystem can only be read on a PS3 and does not work externally...and yes it is encrypted. Maybe someone will come up with some sort of firmware patch, or to split files to pass the file size limit.

Gobnoblin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
crazy good food for thought.... got to do me some more googling before pay day it appears lol... thanks ....any and all input is much appreciated....

damingraham

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://www.consolesource.com/ecomm/catalog...der-p-2593.html
xecuter-ps3-hard-drive-extender-hdxt.jpg

xecuter-ps3-hard-drive-extender-hdxt-c.jpg

xecuter-ps3-hard-drive-extender-hdxt-d.jpg

Gobnoblin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
yuppers ! I believe that will just about do it... and probably just as cheap as i could figure out how to do it myself lol... good stuff

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    13,600 MB/s though
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    I got a 980 pro iirc
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Soldigms been pretty solid
    yeh 980 pro
    good enough tbf
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/gMNhZNI never heard about them but reviews are good
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, Crucial SSDs work fine. I have one installed in my Xbox.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Reviews seem positive.
    I believe I had some Patriot RAM running in a computer somewhere
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $250 is pretty solid considering
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With the refund it'll be about $150
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    6tb nvme pc ftw
    500 GB NVMe, 750 GB
    SATA SSD 1 TB HDD
    honestly I don't play pc games
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't game
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Once I buy this I'll be around 20tb worth of storage tho if we're talking all my drives
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All this crap I got and all I do is pick up the GabeDick to fiddle with his happy stick
    idk the total storage cap I have
    50 TB orso
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, I don't play PC games often. Mostly its all 90s-00s games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hm doing research quite possible my issue with this drive is bios related not detecting it fully
    run crystaldisk?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't think it would do much if gnome live even sees it as 2mb
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vmd issue possibly
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Vmd issue possibly