PS1/2 PS2 softmod

Ritsuki

ORAORAORAORA
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Is it possible to install FreeMcBoot from a PS2 with swap trick and use the memory card on another PS2 ? I want to do this, cause my PS2 lens is broken, and I can't find somewhere to repair it for a resonable price (and I've already bought a PS3 Slim)

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Gvaz said:
When you say "bad disks" what do you mean?
Cheap ass DVD's no name brands you buy at Wal-Mart!
tongue.gif

QUOTE(Ritsuki @ Apr 10 2010, 09:07 PM) Is it possible to install FreeMcBoot from a PS2 with swap trick and use the memory card on another PS2 ? I want to do this, cause my PS2 lens is broken, and I can't find somewhere to repair it for a resonable price (and I've already bought a PS3 Slim)
Yep, that would work fine. You actually aren't putting anything at all on the PS2 itself, it's all on the memory card.
wink.gif

Smirre

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I might buy this combo to walk through best PS2 moments:
Fat PS2
Network Adapter
ide hdd

So let me get this straight. Do I need something else to play PS2 games from HDD?

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Smirre said:
Fat PS2
Network Adapter
ide hdd

So let me get this straight. Do I need something else to play PS2 games from HDD?

You need a memory card with Free MC Boot installed and a controller as well. And maybe some small usb storage to copy Open PS2 Loader to your memory card.

Annieone23

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiPower said:
Smirre said:
Fat PS2
Network Adapter
ide hdd

You need a memory card with Free MC Boot installed and a controller as well. And maybe some small usb storage to copy Open PS2 Loader to your memory card.

and unless you get a volunteer somewhere to install freemcboot then i recommend the Agent Under Fire method. worked perfectly for me, even after trying and failing the From Russia With Love method, even tho its supposedly confirmed to work.

also i was very keen on doing hdd booting with my supposedly awesome compatibility Maxtor hdd and still that wldnt work. ps2's seem much more fickle than wii hdd booting, so i recommend being prepared to quite possibly have to do network booting (much faster and no patching but kinda a pain to set up) or ESR booting (will kill your laser faster but the only method ive gotten to work sadly)

good luck! there are plenty of other sites out there with good support and instructions on how to softmod your ps2, unfortunately this site isnt really one of them :\ but on the plus side, ps2 modding forums are kinda deadish so come here for support! id love ta help!

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Did you try Open PS2 Loader and HDD loader, or just one of them? I hope HDD compatibilty with Open PS2 Loader mostly depends if the connections have the correct distance, maybe in the future the compatiblity will be increased.

Annieone23

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
are you talking to me wiipower? (omg wiipower is talking to me lol >.>)

yeah i tried openps2loader and usb advanced. open ps2 never works and ive defragged my hdd a couple hundred times and installed the games with both (sorry went on vacation names are fuzzy) but that ulloader command line installer and that spanish usb2.0 program. neither works. with usbadvanced i can get a very laggy opening cutscene of ffxii but it freezes at the menu.

i know opl has no room for fragmented files but ive used many different defragers and installers and nothing seems to jive with it right. altho at least it shows the games are there.

ive basically given up after days of fiddle farting around with it and ive decided to just use ESR until i can buy an ethernet cable and attempt to set up a network connection.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Smirre and i were talking about an internal HDD. And that's something that works great and the loading is faster than from disc. It should have startled me when you said that loading from network is faster. It is, but only faster than usb, it's like this:
internal HDD > disc > LAN > usb

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
playallday said:
* Is there a guide for ripping/burning?
Yes. It's here. (It uses a different software but it doesn't matter.)

* Whatever I don't need a guide. Now let me get to my burning...
Wait! Before you burn the disk you need to patch it! Use this (if the link is down use this one).
those bolded links don't work anymore

personager

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just three quick questions:
1) Will this enable my PS2 to play burnt games from a different region?
2) Will this enable my PS2 to play burnt PS1 games?
3) This softmod will be installed in my memory card, right? So, nothing to the PS2 itself?

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes via ESR
No
Correct...which means if you take out that MC then your PS2 is neutered.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
personager said:
Just three quick questions:
3) This softmod will be installed in my memory card, right? So, nothing to the PS2 itself?

If you have:
a V9 or V10 ps2(there's some security removed in these models, most likely to save production costs)[i still don't have any clue if it works on slims or not]
a ps1 high TOC game
and you are capable and willing to swap discs, then you can play ps1 backups:
Insert the ps1 retail disc, let the ps2 browser identify the disc, start uLaunchELF, make it stop the drive, swap for your backup, select boot disc.

personager

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xist said:
Yes via ESR
No
Correct...which means if you take out that MC then your PS2 is neutered.

WiiPower said:
QUOTE(personager @ Jul 23 2010, 10:17 PM) Just three quick questions:

If you have:
a V9 or V10 ps2(there's some security removed in these models, most likely to save production costs)[i still don't have any clue if it works on slims or not]
a ps1 high TOC game
and you are capable and willing to swap discs, then you can play ps1 backups:
Insert the ps1 retail disc, let the ps2 browser identify the disc, start uLaunchELF, make it stop the drive, swap for your backup, select boot disc.

Alright, thanks for the answers. I'm still confused about one thing, though. Once I install this softmod, can I play burnt PS2 games directly from the get-go? I wont need to do any swap trick or anything every time I want to load the burnt game? I can just put it in the PS2, turn the PS2 on and it will load like a normal retail game, right?

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
No, the games need to be patched so that the ps2 sees them as video dvds(ESR disc patcher) and enables reading of the disc at all. And then you boot ESR and it boots the game. I think you can configure Free McBoot to boot ESR automatically, but i prefer booting ESR manually.

personager

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, so I did each and everything the guide says. Now, when I reach mission 2, return to the main menu and save the game, I then swap the retail disk for the burnt one. As soon as I do that, the game loads for a couple of seconds and starts playing again, but the background music of the main menu disappears .I then start mission 2 as the guide instructs, but when I do so, all I get is a black screen. I'm not exactly sure about what I'm doing wrong. Any help?

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
personager said:
Alright, so I did each and everything the guide says. Now, when I reach mission 2, return to the main menu and save the game, I then swap the retail disk for the burnt one. As soon as I do that, the game loads for a couple of seconds and starts playing again, but the background music of the main menu disappears .I then start mission 2 as the guide instructs, but when I do so, all I get is a black screen. I'm not exactly sure about what I'm doing wrong. Any help?

Hmm, do you play to play ESR patched discs later? If yes, you can patch a game you want to play, and burn it already. Then see if the ps2 browser is able to say that there's a video dvd inserted, if not, your burns are bad or your laser or both.

Also, i don't know the guide, but be sure to swap the disc(swap = change disc without the ps2 noticing) in the correct moment. Which i hope is a moment when the drive is stopped.

personager

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiPower said:
personager said:

Hmm, do you play to play ESR patched discs later? If yes, you can patch a game you want to play, and burn it already. Then see if the ps2 browser is able to say that there's a video dvd inserted, if not, your burns are bad or your laser or both.

Also, i don't know the guide, but be sure to swap the disc(swap = change disc without the ps2 noticing) in the correct moment. Which i hope is a moment when the drive is stopped.
What exactly do you mean by "the correct moment"? I have a phat PS2 so when I eject the retail disk, the game freezes. When I put the burnt disc in, it waits for a few seconds and the game starts playing again (without background music). If you mean that I should swap discs without the game freezing then I don't think that's possible because the PS2 takes time to eject the tray and put it back in

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1