PS2 SCPH-79001 Modchips.

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by ShadowSoldier, Jan 28, 2011.

Jan 28, 2011

PS2 SCPH-79001 Modchips. by ShadowSoldier at 3:14 PM (3,176 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. ShadowSoldier
    OP

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    So one of my friends is good at soldering, and I figured I'm going to install a modchip into the PS2. That way I don't have to go through all the trouble of ESR or whatever the hell it's called, and Free McBoot. It's probably safer, but chances are, a long the way, I'll get lost.

Anyways, I have no idea where to buy them. Obviously it's online, but I don't know reliable sites. Preferably a site that accepts credit card (I'm just going to get a pre-loaded credit card in the store today). Also, preferably one that sells the wire/solder and all that stuff would be great as well.

And in case you're wondering, this is the model:

[​IMG]

2. MFDC12

Member MFDC12 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    DX used to sell them for $3.40 but I just looked and they are all gone. eurasia will ship a modbo out for $19 shipped (if theyre shipping rates are still the same), they sell wire. modchipcentral still sells them i believe, and they have a wire and solder kit there.

3. ShadowSoldier
    OP

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    So would you recommend the ModBo 4.0 or whatever from Modchipcentral with the soldering kit? (although I'm bummed they don't have the soldering irons)

4. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    price angels do ps2 modchips.

5. MFDC12

Member MFDC12 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    well to be fair i haven't gotten their kit but ive heard that it works well.

you can probably find a nice 15 watt iron on ebay, i got mine for 15 including desoldering braids. i got my wire from llamma's shop, but usually any 30 gauge kynar wire will do (though many people recommend 24 awg wire for the ground and 3.3v points).

i made a blog comparing a modbo to a quarter if you want to see a picture showing a similar size. make sure you practice soldering really good before you install, 79000's have a bit on ic legs. (ive seen these firsthand, because I have a 79000, they are smalllll)

6. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    I wanted to recommend a Matrix Infinity which is in my PS2 slim at the moment but the website I ordered it from is long gone. It doesn't have any wires which means you'll have to purchase a roll separately but I got by with luck and installed it myself after practising soldering on a broken CD player for a week. It ran ever PS2 games I threw at it so if you're willing to consider other modchips, I'd recommend a Matrix Infinity unless someone suggests otherwise.

7. Armadillo

Member Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Matrix infinity chips haven't been made for a long time, so finding one would be quite hard, for no benefit really. Modbo 4s are clones of them anyway, and work just as well. Everything on the modbo 4 works just as it does on the original matrix infinity.

8. Devante

Member Devante Crescent fresh at best.

United States
    Crazy. I just bought the Modbo 4 from dealextreme a couple of weeks ago. Now it's gone!

Oh well. :<

Anyone have install diagram for SCPH-79001?

9. Magsor

Member Magsor I am watching you

Canada
  10. Schlupi

Member Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniacâ„¢

United States
    http://www.shoptemp.com/ModBo_4.0_Unive...PS2_p10509.html

I got mine from Dealextreme literally right before they took it off... Still waiting in the mail for it.

I would recommend it from here. Best price, and Modbos are Matrix Infinity Clones anyways.

I have a FreeMcbooted PS2 Slim, same model (silver though [​IMG]) and it works great. But I hate having to do the PS1 logo startup disc swap trick to play PS1 games.

WTF apparently the link is censored. Forgot... It's shoptemp though.