PS1/2 Ps2 modchip

jabmaster2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a brand new phat ps2 I Want to chip. I'm wondering which chip is best for playing ps2, dual layer, psone, and from a hard drive. I've heard of dms4 chip but can't find it in stock, and I think crystal and matrix. Which is the best and can still be bought. Thanks

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well the answer to your question is not a simple one.

Theres currently no perfect solution for the ps2 at the moment and in the same time many options are at your hands.

Well for modchips I would go for a matrix clone from a chinese site because they are so cheap and there compatibility is very very very good(100%?) but your optical drive WILL wear out. it might be in 5 years but it will.

The best solution would be playing from HDD with a PHAT ps2 and a network adapter and changing the hard drive. You still have to get the PS2 softmod here.

Theres also playing from USB and SMB (Which is what i do mostly now) but the compatibility is mitigated.

I have just sufaced the paths you can take there other stuff too but depends what you are looking for.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
If you intend on using an internal HDD don't bother with a chip. Just install FMCB on a memory card and use that. (i.e a softmod).

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Magsor said:
The best solution would be playing from HDD with a PHAT ps2 and a network adapter and changing the hard drive. You still have to get the PS2 softmod here.

HDD can and do fail over time, not every hard drive is compatible, not too sure about ps1 support..

But for a PHAT ps2, playing burned games on it isn't the best idea as burned disc lessen laser life, and with lasers costing around $30 and are getting harder to find as time goes on..

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem with HDLoading on phat PS2's is that you're limited to EIDE/PATA hard drives, and what manufacturers make that anymore? WD... and they intentionally space out the connectors so that they don't fit in the PS2 network adapter's ports anymore. You'd have to mod the connector to fit... or try to find another brand that makes PATA drives still, which is not easy. Makes me wish I jumped on that Hitachi 1TB PATA they had now, as my 160GB one's already full up.

I have a Matrix Infinity with 1.93 firmware on it. Pretty much can load anything on it, and direct boots PS1, PS2 backups fine. Also had the extra wiring put in for DVD±RW backups, though rarely use that now with DVD±R's being so cheap.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-