PS2 Emulator for PS4?

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've converted several PS2 games to PS4 PKG and they all had different issues leaving a very unsatisfactory experience for me.

For example, Red Dead Revolver works great, but the picture is out of focus.

Thanks.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've thought about this. the only thing I can think of is something through linux, but I've heard linux emulation is lousy, at least with ps3 stuff.

Reactions: KiiWii

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I honestly think that given the minimum requirements of the PCSX2 emulator that it's not impossible for the PS4 to run PS2 games through an emulator. I'm aware that emulation takes many times more processing power than the original console required, but here I wouldn't have though this was a problem based on those min specs.

I'm not sure what the issues with PS2-FPK are, but I'm sure it's probably something to do with how the games are being interpreted My guess is that it's a lot like turning a PS1 game into an Eboot like back in the PSP days.

The minimum specs of PCSX2 are these:

Operating SystemCPUGPURAM
- Windows 7 or newer (32 or 64 bit)
- Ubuntu 18.04/Debian or newer, Arch Linux, or other distro (32 or 64 bit)
- Supports SSE2
- PassMark Single Thread Performance rating near or greater than 1600
- Two physical cores, with hyperthreading
- Direct3D10 support
- OpenGL 3.x support
- PassMark G3D Mark rating around 3000 (GeForce GTX 750)
- 2 GB Video Memory
4 GB

I've read that the PS4 has the equivalent of arouuuund an I5-4670 in terms of processing power which would be more than enough.
It also has the equivalent of an RX470/RX480 graphics card, which is similar performance to a GTX1060.
As for RAM, I've just found out the PS4 doesn't have dedicated VRAM? So, I'm not sure how that problem would be worked around, but it has 8GB of RAM which the system uses for graphics, so if it could be tapped into for that then you're all good.

So I don't think there'd be an issue with emulation specs, but I'm not clued up enough to actually say that for sure. It's just a case of having someone with the knowhow to create/ port one if it is possible. Again I'm not clued up on how porting works, or how emulation works for that matter. But if we can have all sorts of emulators on switch I'm sure PS4 isn't out of the question...

I take it there's no PS2 emulator in Retroarch?

Last edited by MikeyTaylorGaming,

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a list of PS2 PKG compatibility?

It's a bit annoying to go through the process of downloading, converting, installing, and then it don't work. :(

tehrzky

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I checked that list out though it showed different results from mine. E.g. Tekken Tag and Dead or Alive 2 just didn't work.
thats not accurate.

ot
if we can have lakka (similar to switch os) maybe theres a chance or android os to run AetherSx2. hope they can make a new improvement on tools to convert ps2 pkg. there are active community about ps2 fixes on some ps4 game. but it will take some time or wait for them to fix the game you want.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is a very interesting topic to me because I have been running on a i5 - 3750 which happens to be 1 % slower than the 4670 for about 4 years now. I am much into emulation and I have tried the limits of this system over time. I have only acquired a graphics card a year and a half ago and it's a GT 1030 which has much slower specs than the GTX750 mentioned.

The CPU with integrated graphics (3000) cannot handle basically any modern games. I can get COD4 started but not good enough to play but it can do some ps2 emulation in the lower to mid end it can do all gamecube and older systems. No wii mario galaxy but some easier to run wii games like NSMB. It will run PSCX2 many games but no God of war.

My feeling is the CPU-GPU combo is much better than the PS4.the graphics are much smoother. It can handle any modern games like horizon zero dawn(PC version) much smoother and fluid on the same screen at the same resolution. It can handle any emulators, even switch and wii u working nicely at 2x on some games. On the PS3 emulator this time, there is no god of war but the many games that run do beautifully and all ps2 games are good now of course.

Also i think the CPU is bottlenecking the GPU even If I would get just a more recent computer with the same GPU it would be better. I also have the same 8 GB of ram and 2GB on GPU.

The bottom line is these specs are bull ; The CPU makes sense since its from the same era; but the GPU is not nearly as good as claimed. It should be compared to another GPU that is older (and less capable) than my GT1030 or GTX 750 but better than integrated 3000.

That being said, it will work, even more on the pro . But is it worth anyone's time? Perhaps probably not. Only time will tell.

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've tried Crazy Taxi (PAL) and it works. A bit of a shame PS2 never received CT2 since that was the best one.

I had other games to convert, but the program keeps showing a white screen. :(

Jokey_Carrot

G̶B̶A̶T̶e̶m̶p̶ ̶A̶d̶d̶i̶c̶t̶ Heroin Addict.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I honestly think that given the minimum requirements of the PCSX2 emulator that it's not impossible for the PS4 to run PS2 games through an emulator. I'm aware that emulation takes many times more processing power than the original console required, but here I wouldn't have though this was a problem based on those min specs.

I'm not sure what the issues with PS2-FPK are, but I'm sure it's probably something to do with how the games are being interpreted My guess is that it's a lot like turning a PS1 game into an Eboot like back in the PSP days.

The minimum specs of PCSX2 are these:

Operating SystemCPUGPURAM
- Windows 7 or newer (32 or 64 bit)
- Ubuntu 18.04/Debian or newer, Arch Linux, or other distro (32 or 64 bit)
- Supports SSE2
- PassMark Single Thread Performance rating near or greater than 1600
- Two physical cores, with hyperthreading
- Direct3D10 support
- OpenGL 3.x support
- PassMark G3D Mark rating around 3000 (GeForce GTX 750)
- 2 GB Video Memory
4 GB

I've read that the PS4 has the equivalent of arouuuund an I5-4670 in terms of processing power which would be more than enough.
It also has the equivalent of an RX470/RX480 graphics card, which is similar performance to a GTX1060.
As for RAM, I've just found out the PS4 doesn't have dedicated VRAM? So, I'm not sure how that problem would be worked around, but it has 8GB of RAM which the system uses for graphics, so if it could be tapped into for that then you're all good.

So I don't think there'd be an issue with emulation specs, but I'm not clued up enough to actually say that for sure. It's just a case of having someone with the knowhow to create/ port one if it is possible. Again I'm not clued up on how porting works, or how emulation works for that matter. But if we can have all sorts of emulators on switch I'm sure PS4 isn't out of the question...

I take it there's no PS2 emulator in Retroarch?
The ps4 has an 8gb pool of shared gddr5 memory (yes that's gddr5 graphics memory rather than the usual ddr3/4) The ps4 base/slim gpu is around the speed radeon hd 7850, which is about half the speed of the rx 570. I believe the ps4 pro gpu is the one that equivalent to the 570. The ps4's cpu is also pretty dog shit, it's 8 cores at 1.6ghz although it's actually 2 quad core modules which I think share some parts like other amd cpus at the time?????? That doesn't matter for pcsx2 as it's pretty single threaded and 1.6ghz is pretty ass. I think it could probably run with a few speedhacks though.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the problem with ps2 emulation isn't power, it's that every ps2 classic has its own emulator that's geared towards that game, so we have to use those same emulators. a lot of people talk about the switch emulator for n64 being a catch all essentially, resulting in bad emulation. well, the ps4 doesn't do that. each game uses its own emulator, hence the names for them. it's configuration is geared towards that game, and we're trying to use them to play anything. it doesn't always work well.

UnknownGamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
a few of us years ago worked pretty hard on these. there's a few different ways to make these packages for ps2 emulation, I've used all of them and also codebreaker/gameshark and also pro action replay injection. you'll find a lot of methods with different results.
also play around with the config file too. especially for games from triace you'll need to use the secret code as the game start to enable interlacing and such. I’ll be back in the swing of things again if there’s enough support to want them.

I do not apply widescreen as I keep the original aspect ratio, unless there is a widescreen support I’ll enable it. I’ll be making them with and without codebreaker injected. I have all the emulation config files and paths and also tweaks for most of the ps2 library we got playable. I may even have a few already ps2onps4 fpkgs laying around.

have fun.
look for the pros like sabin1981 and codester1389

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm still very much a newbie and slowly learning how it all works, but I really appreciate.

Moreover, I found out a fix for PS2 Classics Gui that once deleted the PS4 Tools folder from App Data (on Windows 10) it loads normally, no annoying white screen.

UnknownGamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm still very much a newbie and slowly learning how it all works, but I really appreciate.

Moreover, I found out a fix for PS2 Classics Gui that once deleted the PS4 Tools folder from App Data (on Windows 10) it loads normally, no annoying white screen.
If you have any questions or need help with configs, etc I’m always around

Guuma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey there, I have an issue with WRC Rally Evolved on ps4, textures are completely glitching. Game is only launching when using ps3 config. Can anyone help me?
WRC - World Rally Championship - Rally Evolved_20211222095618.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)