Hacking PS2 Emulation possible?

BONDXD345

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone,

Is it possible to run pcsx-esque core in Retroarch in order to play PS2 games? I've looked into the specs of the two machines, with the Vita coming on top (obviously).

I just wanted to know.

Thanks.

2DSGamerdude

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
the vita can't emulate ps2 games or n64,
a ps3 with CFW however can perfectly :)
and a good PC or Mac (64bit) can emulate n64 games really well :)
n64 on Mac (64bit) can be done perfectly using OpenEmu (Free) Mac only.

hope this helps.

SCOTT0852

shiny rubber creature
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
a ps3 with CFW however can perfectly
PS2 on a non-backcompat PS3 is not great. On a backcompat PS3, it's not really emulation. Besides, a PS3 is much more powerful than a Vita.
a good PC or Mac (64bit) can emulate n64 games really well
Yes, but a good PC or Mac is also much more powerful than a Vita.

Thekenbaum

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The architecture of the ps2, primarily with the CPU, is difficult to emulate; the ps3 barely has the hardware to emulate the more lightweight games (excluding the ps3 models with ps2 hardware in them since that isn't emulating anything really). I can certainly tell you that the vita is not as powerful as the ps3 is, it has more RAM then the ps3 but the CPU and GPU aren't on the same level as the ps3 is.

Simply put; the only way for ps2 games to run on the Vita is if they were ported to the vita, sorry to tell you.

PS2 emulation might be possible on the switch further down the line though (If that's any consolation); it probably won't be great emulation but more lightweight games like kingdom hearts would probably work decently well.

eighthdayregret

fnerrrrrrrrrr!
Trophies
Website
eighthsregrets.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
I think it could technically be just barely possible. The PS2 ports (God of War, Metal Gear Solid) are not completely rewritten games. They have an emulation engine that downgrades things to a level the Vita can handle, and the video content is compressed to save space. There are actually much better quality versions of the videos for God of War that can be used with the Vita version using Repatch.
While there may not be a way for perfect PS2 emulation to occur, theoretically, one could create a software-based emulator that would bottleneck content, such as what was done with the two collections I mentioned above.
If you want to get super technical about it, GoW Collection and MGS HD are basically emulations of emulations, since they're based on the PS3 collections, so that kinda emphasizes that it could theoretically be possible.
And the PS3 can emulate PS2 just fine. That's how they have the PS2 Classics for PS3, like Psychonauts. Same with PS4.
The specs for PS3 vs Vita are manageably different. If the PS3 can do it, then the Vita could do it with a little bit of help.
Sony knows how to do it, they just don't want to.

Last edited by eighthdayregret,

spectral

Trophies
XP
Country
I think it could technically be just barely possible. The PS2 ports (God of War, Metal Gear Solid) are not completely rewritten games. They have an emulation engine that downgrades things to a level the Vita can handle, and the video content is compressed to save space. There are actually much better quality versions of the videos for God of War that can be used with the Vita version using Repatch.
While there may not be a way for perfect PS2 emulation to occur, theoretically, one could create a software-based emulator that would bottleneck content, such as what was done with the two collections I mentioned above.
If you want to get super technical about it, GoW Collection and MGS HD are basically emulations of emulations, since they're based on the PS3 collections, so that kinda emphasizes that it could theoretically be possible.
And the PS3 can emulate PS2 just fine. That's how they have the PS2 Classics for PS3, like Psychonauts. Same with PS4.
The specs for PS3 vs Vita are manageably different. If the PS3 can do it, then the Vita could do it with a little bit of help.
Sony knows how to do it, they just don't want to.

I can't find any evidence that the Vita version of the PS2 God of War games used any kind of emulation rather than being a full port. Also your assertion that the Vita and PS3 are similar in power is ludicrous. The PS3 is much more powerful.

Last edited by spectral,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.