Hacking Ps2 cobra mode vs convert to ps2 classic ?

Cecilmax

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello guys, Im a little bit confused there. I just found that when we disable cobra mode on multiman, this one ask if we want to convert ps2 iso to classic when we try to launch the game. What is the difference ? Does one way better than the other ?

Azel

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Ps2 classics are encrypted and so is their saves/memory card.

as far as compatibility goes I have no idea.

(created a PS2 Classics version of my Persona4 disc in 2013, works fine.)

CheeseCake

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've used both so I'll give the the run down

PS2 Classics is PSN's PS2 Classics game shell. You convert the ISO into the encrypted PS2 Classics format (ISO.BIN.ENC)
You can make PKG files off this with aldostools PS2 Classics converter.
This whole process is pretty dated tbh. Converted game appears on XMB.
You can make it look less ugly and give it names in the PKG conversion window (before you actually start converting it)
PS2 Classics Example (Wild Arms 3).png

Cobra, on the other hand, just lets you load PS2 ISOs directly. It's quick and fast. (It still requires PS2 Classics RAP file to get pass the PSN Store error)

You can use either because they run off the same PS2 software emulator within the PS3. They have the same compatibility list.
I use Cobra these days because I don't have to deal with all the hassle.

Reactions: Margen67

Azel

Trophies
XP
Country
France
yep, exactly.

that being said, reactpsn on ps3 did auto convert all the. iso I had in a ps2iso folder, so it wasn't that hard^^

converting saves back and forth can be a hassle, so I stick to PS2 Classics for now but would use cobra for new games :)

Cecilmax

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes I had trouble with wireless controller sync woth cobra and iso but with ps2 classic, everything work fine :)

blitxxx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this is a bit dated but still confusing because of all the different tutorials & different methods which aren't even necessary now; I don't think it matters anymore because Rebug (and other CFWs) has "PS2 Smoothing" and Screen options integrated in the PS 3 system settings now, easy to access ;)

I "think" one of the reasons people used to do it (long time ago, same galaxy) is because it could increase the quality (a tad really) by converting to PS2 Classics instead of original PS2 ISO's, but like said, Rebug & other CFW's have the smoothing option built in now to compensate for it :wacko: Please correct me if I am wrong

I've tested over 20 iso's on latest Rebug CFW (4.81) + latest Rebug / Cobra toolbox PS2 edition + Webman mod and find the compatibility much better than even 4.80 in my usage (despite other claims I've read about; sounds hit or miss but worth trying because you can always easily flash back to your fave fw) :D

Please correct me if I am wrong, because I do want the best quality for my PS2 games on my PS3. Thanks in advance B-)

Last edited by blitxxx,

Dorian_Maybee

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
For the CFWs after 4.46, the wireless controllers don't sync unless it's in classics format, right?
Not exectly so
You need to run classics format first (once!) to sync controller
And you are ready to run PS2 iso format without ps2 launcher at all
Now you can delete ps2 launcher and encrypted iso.bin.enc images if you want

tested on 4.88.2 Evilnat cfw

zfreeman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At least it's nice to know how far we've come. No ISO formatting, the controllers sync, PS2 Config for increased compatibility, and saves can be easily exported/imported.

Nowadays, I just drop the ISOs in their respective folders and mount them with webMAN MOD.

Last edited by zfreeman,
Reactions: CoolMe

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    cearp @ cearp: Welcome hazbeans