Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
Wrong. If anyone is "waiting around" it's the developers of those free apps you mention. Waiting for SX OS to be cracked so they can add the features to their own work. TX has already delivered two updates with new previously unseen features. They aren't waiting for anybody.
Intent doesn't matter on either parties side. I can assume that they were waiting for Atmosphere for their first release given the timeframe. Copyright is a binary flag, either you are in violation or you aren't. Simple as that.

If, as you say, the bulk of SX OS is stolen from this free app, why doesn't the free version have the same features as SX OS yet? Should be simple for them to add by your assessment, since what TX has done is not impressive. The precedent has been set so there's no reason for them not to update their apps now. Everyone is waiting so what's the hold up?
TX did one unique thing, which are a few kernel patches to bypass signature checks. That at the moment poses the hold up for putting it into Atmosphere.

Interesting how suddenly now there are claims of "stolen code" in a pathetic attempt to force TX to release the SX OS source. It's almost as if they need it for something. :rofl2:
I have seen nary a line of Atmospheres source code, I haven't digged into it. I'm just someone who gives a fuck about software licenses being followed and showing a mocum of respect to fellow, often even more competent than me, developers. None of that I see expressed in your post, you read exactly like the average TX defender trying to slap me down with the mighty TX doing all the hard work and we should thank them and so on and on.

Here's the thing: free (as in GPL free) source code isn't the buffet you can eat from without giving anything back. You need to share your changes. That is how those licenses work. TX isn't obeying them. Therefore, TX breaks copyright. Not obeying those licenses is therefore not only illegal in pretty much any modern country, it's also highly disrespectful to anyone who wants to work on Free software.

Allow me a hypothetical scenario for you: let's say you are a newbie dev, you are interested in making homebrew. Your first homebrew is gonna be GPL, you know there is tons of benefits and inherent trust and you can trust the scene not to use your work without properly following the license because open source and GPL are the norm.

Then you release your first alpha of the homebrew. People applaud you for your work, you get recognition and people are happy in general with what you did. You then eagerly decide to continue on it so you can make a stable release.

Suddenly, someone else, more experienced, comes along and sees your open source code and thinks "I'm gonna take that and improve on it". And he does.

But then he releases his final version of your original work earlier than you, without the source code. That means he is in violation of the GPL license.

Now this becomes public knowledge and people start calling him out on his bullshit. However, for some reason, there is a large group of people saying "he did the final version first, I don't care as long as I have it".

Can you imagine how that must feel? Someone who is new to this kind of stuff would quit the scene, or maybe even open source programming as a whole.

Obviously in this case we are dealing with two groups of devs with both a decent amount of experience under their belt. But the base concept and message should hopefully be obvious, namely "saying you are okay with thievery is disrespectful to developers".

Imagine a dev new to the scene reading this thread. I wouldn't want to join the Switch scene if people don't care for the time and effort I put into making things for other people and are willing to toss me out for the drop of a hat. Because that is the message you are sending. Your mentality drives away potential developers and possibly even existing ones. Driving away developers kills a scene. Look at the jailbreak community, they have barely any devs left and the community mainly consists of children at this point.

Last edited by Ev1l0rd,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Intent doesn't matter on either parties side. I can assume that they were waiting for Atmosphere for their first release given the timeframe. Copyright is a binary flag, either you are in violation or you aren't. Simple as that.

TX did one unique thing, which are a few kernel patches to bypass signature checks. That at the moment poses the hold up for putting it into Atmosphere.

I have seen nary a line of Atmospheres source code, I haven't digged into it. I'm just someone who gives a fuck about software licenses being followed and showing a mocum of respect to fellow, often even more competent than me, developers. None of that I see expressed in your post, you read exactly like the average TX defender trying to slap me down with the mighty TX doing all the hard work and we should thank them and so on and on.

Here's the thing: free (as in GPL free) source code isn't the buffet you can eat from without giving anything back. You need to share your changes. That is how those licenses work. TX isn't obeying them. Therefore, TX breaks copyright. Not obeying those licenses is therefore not only illegal in pretty much any modern country, it's also highly disrespectful to anyone who wants to work on Free software.

Allow me a hypothetical scenario for you: let's say you are a newbie dev, you are interested in making homebrew. Your first homebrew is gonna be GPL, you know there is tons of benefits and inherent trust and you can trust the scene not to use your work without properly following the license because open source and GPL are the norm.

Then you release your first alpha of the homebrew. People applaud you for your work, you get recognition and people are happy in general with what you did. You then eagerly decide to continue on it so you can make a stable release.

Suddenly, someone else, more experienced, comes along and sees your open source code and thinks "I'm gonna take that and improve on it". And he does.

But then he releases his final version of your original work earlier than you, without the source code. That means he is in violation of the GPL license.

Now this becomes public knowledge and people start calling him out on his bullshit. However, for some reason, there is a large group of people saying "he did the final version first, I don't care as long as I have it".

Can you imagine how that must feel? Someone who is new to this kind of stuff would quit the scene, or maybe even open source programming as a whole.

Obviously in this case we are dealing with two groups of devs with both a decent amount of experience under their belt. But the base concept and message should hopefully be obvious, namely "saying you are okay with thievery is disrespectful to developers".

Imagine a dev new to the scene reading this thread. I wouldn't want to join the Switch scene if people don't care for the time and effort I put into making things for other people and are willing to toss me out for the drop of a hat. Because that is the message you are sending. Your mentality drives away potential developers and possibly even existing ones. Driving away developers kills a scene. Look at the jailbreak community, they have barely any devs left and the community mainly consists of children at this point.
Whatever happened to doing something for the hell of it. If I were new to the scene, I wouldn't let an entitled community stop me from expanding my knowledge. It's a hobby for most of these people. Of course, I understand wanting to be respected. However you can't change the viewpoints of some of these people with logic and reasoning. You're either what they want or not.

I am interested to see how this specifically pans out. As there are grounds for legal precedence. To what extent? I don't know. I'm not a lawyer.

D

Deleted User

Ya know, I don't think TX is doing much harm here. Atmosphere is obviously open source and they can do whatever they want with it. /s

kamesenin888

Trophies
XP
Country
Ya know, I don't think TX is doing much harm here. Atmosphere is obviously open source and they can do whatever they want with it. /s
No man!!! the devs will cry like the dude that writes a lot said up there, its like our devs are babies and this makes them cry, TX MUST GIVE THE SOURCE CODE OR ELSE!!! or else well nothing will happen, because they are a piracy group and dont care about the gpl, but THEY MUST DO IT!!! :P Its so fun reading about the people that we must morally do bla bla bla, and now we have 2 devs trying to crack a piracy tool for "research" I really hope that the "research" ;) ;) improves atmosphere in some way, because we will have probably a magic backup loader that looks like tx but its open source lol thanks hekxys and neawehrt(cry baby) for working that we have piracy free for all, we will never forget our piracy enabler devs :)

hipmp5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
If TX at least gave some credits to homebrew launcher and atmosphere but no instead they are very shady in everything.
Just look at the "trailers" of TX which are very amateur (I can't forget those nails!), the brick code and about stealing code without even say a thanks to atmosphere people, how can you guys be so blind and defend them?
I could never trust my console to such a "Team"!
Sure they made the very first backup launcher and they have the right to sell it but what about the rest?

Reactions: Materialized

Mr. Elementle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TX shills going hard as fuck in this thread
the same shit happened back in 14 when gateway pulled their shit, people acted like their lives depended on defending some shitty chinese company with anti-customer business practices. They'll all be back on here later whining that TX bricked their switches and begging people to fix it. history really does repeat itself, in fact i predict than in like 7 years when the next nintendo console is being hacked the same thing will happen again

NeoSlyde

Let us start the game
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
France
the same shit happened back in 14 when gateway pulled their shit, people acted like their lives depended on defending some shitty chinese company with anti-customer business practices. They'll all be back on here later whining that TX bricked their switches and begging people to fix it. history really does repeat itself, in fact i predict than in like 7 years when the next nintendo console is being hacked the same thing will happen again
Or nothing will happen

kamesenin888

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes they were on the whole life of the gateway 8 official only GW persons that got bricked, 6 I never knew it happened, the others besides them where people that used the clones and got hit, well unless you tamper tx os and use the cracked one when it comes out, the possibilites are very slim that we have that MANY people :P

whoIsAndrej

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia

That makes me think: How big are the chances, TX decided to pay some people something like 100 bucks to promote/defend them online? To TX $100 is less than nothing, especially if this shilling is gonna bring them a few more buyers. To someone who has to pirate, because he can't afford to pay for the games, $100 gotta be a lot.

As you said, they defend it, like their lives depend on it. Of course, it could be post purchase rationalization, but I really can imagine them being literal shills.

Last edited by whoIsAndrej,

Mr. Elementle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or nothing will happen
i mean just the fact that they're selling you something with brick code should be enough to make you stop supporting them, you wouldn't buy a car with a bomb attached just because the shady chinese man selling it to you told you it won't go off.

in fact is a shady chinese man is selling you anything with a bomb attached a reasonable smart person wouldn't buy it, and they certainly wouldn't go out of their way to defend it

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

That makes me think: How big are the chances, TX decided to pay some people something like 100 bucks to promote/defend them online? To TX $100 is less than nothing, especially if this shilling is gonna bring them a few more buyers. To someone who has to pirate, because he can't afford to pay for the games, $100 gotta be a lot.
unlikely honestly, fanboys on the internet just get really defensive over stuff, most of the people probably didn't even buy from them, hell some of the might not even have a switch, they just saw what was happened and jumped at a chance to spew all of their extremely uninformed opinions on how open source software works mdr

D

Deleted User

Ping Long is very rich man, he help me pay now play now.

kamesenin888

Trophies
XP
Country
i mean just the fact that they're selling you something with brick code should be enough to make you stop supporting them, you wouldn't buy a car with a bomb attached just because the shady chinese man selling it to you told you it won't go off.

in fact is a shady chinese man is selling you anything with a bomb attached a reasonable smart person wouldn't buy it, and they certainly wouldn't go out of their way to defend it

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

unlikely honestly, fanboys on the internet just get really defensive over stuff, most of the people probably didn't even buy from them, hell some of the might not even have a switch, they just saw what was happened and jumped at a chance to spew all of their extremely uninformed opinions on how open source software works mdr
I would say that the people that dont have the switch and dont have TX are here defending open source GPL, those that have that backup loader that is very good dont care mostly about the source code, and your analogy is wrong, this bricks are different, they are password protected bricks, its mostly like an alarm of a car that stops robbers, it could happen to you but you can turn it off, we even have the stupid password "WANNA PLAY?"

D

Deleted User

Offtopic: I've seen some ping long discord screenshots. (And I must admit, they're very amusing.) Is it really someone from TX? Or is it just a troll?
Absolutely not a clue, but one of his profile pics was a school shooter IIRC. Probably just a troll that caught on.

Reactions: whoIsAndrej

Mr. Elementle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man i've been in various scenes since the early 2000s and i really hate people like the sx os team on like a weirdly moral level, charging for stuff you pirated always eats at me, like if they made all the code themselves then whatever your code charge if you want (code now charge now) it's the same reason i fucking hate people that charge for pdfs of college textbooks, like you stole this shit now just hit ctrl c and ctrl v and post that shit on mediafire like a real pirate, trying to turn a profit on a file you stole to begin with is the very worst form of capitalism imo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: