Project Scorpio Devkits Spotted in the Wild

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Foxi4, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Foxi4
    OP

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Scorpio_2.jpg
    Detailed render of the Project Scorpio devkit
    Microsoft's latest revision of the Xbox One, internally referred to as Project Scorpio, was finally spotted in the wild. This information comes straight from Gamesutra who recently had the pleasure of interviewing several Microsoft employees that were key in designing this new system. It's clear that the 90's VCR aesthetic was not abandoned - in fact, the Scorpio devkit goes one step further by implementing an LCD display which probably won't be featured in the final retail units.

Scorpio_Comparison.jpg
    The Project Scorpio devkit compared to Microsoft's previous devkit units

In previous generations Microsoft's consoles closely followed the devkit's case design. If past performance is anything to go by, these development kits are a good representation of how the final system will look like.

Scorpio_Spec.PNG
    The Project Scorpio and the Scorpio devkit specs sheet, as compared to the Xbox One S and Xbox One
    Gamesutra also published a detailed specs sheet of both the devkit and the final retail units, comparing them to the Xbox One and the Xbox One S. You'll notice that, as per tradition, the Scorpio devkit packs even more of a punch than the retail unit as it has to run background operations during the development cycle.

Scorpio_Stacked.jpg
    Project Scorpio devkits - now easily stackable!
    To prove that they're not just full of hot air, Gamesutra also featured this photograph of a stack of devkits in addition to the renders. It appears that Project Scorpio is nearing final stages of development, we'll definitelly hear more about the system during this year's E3 showcase.

You can find out more about the system and read some excerpts from their interview by following the source link below. What do you think about the new Xbox? Let us know in the comments!

:arrow: Source (Gamesutra)

2. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    And people complained that the Xbone looks like a VHS recorder.

3. Noctosphere

Noctosphere Moon furries | Official follower of Skiddon't-ism

Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    Between three furries women
    nioce

4. s157

s157 Grinder Extraordinaire

Sep 23, 2016
    United States
    I like the vcr look. I hope it doesn't change too much in the final version.

5. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    The only thing I don't like about the Xbox one is the sharp corners. They hurt.

2Hack and nero99 like this.
  6. Darkyose

Darkyose Mysterious

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Home Alone Somewhere.
    I still don't like Xbox enough to buy one... But I would play if someone else has it or gives it to me.

Hi-Dro likes this.
  7. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    That little LCD screen is a pretty awesome idea for a dev kit, it's a shame it probably won't be seen on consumer console. As a PC gamer, I'd like to have a little display like that showing FPS/hardware temperature or controller info or something that gives more information about the console's actual performance.

As to the general design, looks ok to me. The only thing that I'm sort of "disappointed" with is sort of the lack of visible vents (in the photos, anyways, the whole back could be a vent I suppose :P). You can't stuff 4K hardware in a box that small and expect good airflow, I hope they step up their game cooling wise or consumers might be in for some more RROD type things.

8. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    I do like how this device physically looks overall. Though I agree with someone above, I'd like to see the edges rounded off like a Wii U, that would help with the sleekness and make it look more futuristic

9. mightymuffy

mightymuffy fatbaldpieeater

GBAtemp Patron
    mightymuffy is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 6, 2002
    United Kingdom
    Wigan, land of the Pies
    "Microsoft is using a vapour chamber heat sink. It consists of a copper vessel that forms its basis, inside of which is deionised water under vacuum. Heat is absorbed into the water, where it vapourises. The steam convects away from the hot spots and condenses on the heat sink fins. It's highly efficient"

Quoted from the official Digital Foundry unveiling - do try to keep up. :P MS have most certainly learned their lesson from the RROD issue...

10. KingBlank

KingBlank King of Nothing

Sep 17, 2008
    New Zealand
    New Zealand
    Optimistic frame rate on that little screen there, I'm still expecting most titles to be locked to 24-30fps for a cinematic experience

11. John256145

John256145 "Why does your name have so many numbers?"

Jun 26, 2014
    United States
    /storage/emulated/0
    It looks nice, and it's just a dev kit!

12. Foxi4
    OP

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I have mixed feelings when it comes to vapour chambers - some are really good implementations, some are extremely poor. I find direct contact pipes to be a safer approach since the wicks are more reliable, but hey - so far the Xbox One didn't have any major cooking disasters and the sinks are huge in each revision, oversized even, so Microsoft has certainly learned a thing or two in the cooling department and plays it safe now.

13. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    I'm pretty sure this was done on purpose to drive up hype. God dammit, I'm laughing so hard at how much it looks like a VCR. But, part of me likes the VCR 90's look, so eh. I have no plans to buy an Xbone, because Xbone exclusives come to PC anyway.

Also, Microsoft, plz fix those pointy corners, holy shit!

14. Foxi4
    OP

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I love the pointy corners, you guys are nuts. If there's anything that I really hated about the previous generation, it's the fact that everything had to be rounded or curved. Sharp edges give the console a bolder look - it seems like a sturdy piece of kit.
    The vents are on each side of the black section, they span the whole width of the system. It seems like a perfect setup for push/pull, but to my knowledge the system is cooled by just one oversized fan, much like the S.

15. eduall

eduall GBAtemp Regular

May 29, 2014
    and the price unknow...

16. duffmmann

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    Pointed edges just look like dated tech to me at this point. Like something out of the 80s. I love aesthetically so much more how the Wii U looks over the original Wii, and the roundness has everything to do with that.

17. Foxi4
    OP

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Judging by the specs alone I expect the system to be anywhere between $350 (optimistic, competitive with PS4 Pro) and $600 (pessimistic, high margin), which is fine since it's an optional upgrade. We'll definitely find out more during E3.

eduall likes this.
  18. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    That is clearly a VCR! MS is making a VCR confirmed!

HylianMario likes this.
  19. Foxi4
    OP

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Rounded edges are impractical and give consoles a toy-like appearance, I was always partial towards the more monolith-like style of design, as seen on the PS2, for instance. You have a point though, it's an 80's look, I just happen to like it. :P

barronwaffles likes this.
  20. duffmmann

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    I dunno, I look at something like the Galaxy S8 Edge or the Wii U pro controllers, and they look brilliant to me with all their rounded edges, in fact not only could I see them as uncomfortable if they weren't rounded, but I can tell I'd find them less appealing overall to look at if they were as well.

HylianMario likes this.