Lametta

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
Still is pretty much useless but it's a beginning. Read very very small pdf.

The author says:
It is very prototypical right now; when the ROM loads it will give you a file browser. Double-tap a folder to go into it, double tap a pdf file to choose it. Double tap non-pdf files at your own peril (You'll just get an error message.) Once inside, you can use your stylus to 'move' the page. (taken from release page)

Here the full release page with download link:

release page

I hope it will be developed and supported for a better version
smile.gif

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe he can program something in to stream segments of the PDF into memory like SnemulDS does. Slow, but it could read them. Cool idea and I hope something comes of it!

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
UltraMagnus said:
Narin said:
The DS only has 4 Megabytes of RAM, don't expect miracles folks.

my computer only has 2gb of ram, but it can read 2.5gb PDF files. I don't think a PDF reader needs to load the entire file into RAM, just the page its on
Yeah, but there's a difference. A DS can't use virtual RAM at all while your computer is perfectly capable of that.

albinofrenchy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys,

I'm the guy making this project right now; and I saw this thread and couldn't help but throw out that there is a new version of the viewer up with many improvements: http://ands-pdf.blogspot.com/

You can now scroll around the image, change pages, zoom in and out, yada yada.

And yes, the 4 mb ram thing does suck. It pretty much means that the thing can't render large images out of PDF files, but luckily we can render any text. I haven't stress tested how big of PDF's it can load, but the largest one I regularly load is 415kb; and 26 pages. My hope is that it will be a functional reader for 80 percent of the documents out there eventually.

Please do reply with your thoughts on it, and how it could be better.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice job and good luck!
biggrin.gif

May I ask: is a paging system possible? Streaming segments into the DS memory and dumping them regularly to load other parts. As I'm aware, this is the method that many emulators on DS use to play large games.

albinofrenchy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I understand your question right, this is in fact how it works now to a large degree. Whenever it has to redraw, it rerenders only the 'torn' part of the page and in this way we greatly minimize the memory footprint. If it wasn't for being able to do this, it would be near impossible to render a single page.

I'm looking into doing this for images; but it is less clear if it is feasible to do it with them. I need to look closer at the PDF spec, but if those images are compressed in some way so I'd have to recompose the whole thing to grab just a little part, it won't work. What I'll probably end up doing with images is simply putting a size limit on images; and if they exceed that I won't render them. It will be wonky, but at least you can see the rest of your document that way.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Speaking of PLaystation. I see Evilnat put out a beta for PS3 CFW 4.91.2 on the 22nd.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't really see the point in updating it tbh
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right, I thought about updating my PS3 CFW to 4.91, but why really, everything plays fine now. I guess for people that have already updated past 4.9 it would be helpful.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Idk if online servers are still active that would be my only thought
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Thats true, personally I don't play it online at all, in fact, I deleted all wifi details on it once I installed CFW, so it won't connect and auto-update itself
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I play most games that are on both PS3/360 strickly on the 360, but PS3 exclusives are really only games I play on the PS3 (You know me, I'm more of a Xbox junkie)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ps3 really has no titles worth going online
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    what is nps?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, what about GTA v onl... O Yea the PS3 versión got discontinued
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I feel like the world's cheapest pc build can play gtaV
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    In modern standards
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, then why mine can't?