Project 64 or Retroarch? Help me decide!

Dragozard

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to figure if there is any reason to use Project 64.
Are there any games it runs better?
Is it any better/worse at runnin Hi-Res Texture Packs?
How well do cheats work compared to Retroarch?
Is there ANYTHING that PJ64 has over Retroarch?

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think project 64 has always been the best emulator out there. It's not perfect by any mean and it's closed sourced so there has not been any work on it for a many many years. I think its because it uses High level Emulation but that is as far as my knowledge can explain it. It's sad but true.
There is many reasons to use it over retroarch. One is retroarch has too many files in it and windows don't like that...

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Retroarch uses Parallel 64 IIRC which I think is technically better, especially with upscaling.

Project 64 (as mentioned above) is more compact but I think it uses more hacks to achieve what it does than attempt cleaner cycle perfect emulation.

Garro

Pendulum of souls!
Trophies
Website
garrothedog.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Chile
Personally I prefer RetroArch, having all my emulators integrated into one frontend is a huge plus for me. Also, since it's in Steam save files get stored in Steam Cloud. Also there's the integration with RetroAchievements which I enjoy using. (There's a fork of Project64 with RA integration I believe).

It does requires a lot of initial setting up and the amount of configuration can be overwhelming the first time. Project64 certainly is more straightforward.

Reactions: KiiWii

Jayinem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why not launch all your emulators from Launchbox? Then you just double click the game and you're playing the game. I just use free Launchbox, but there's a paid for one if you care about other themes. I launch all my games (from emulators and actual PC games) from Launchbox.

nTmr3fM.png

Sinac4sod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think project 64 has always been the best emulator out there. It's not perfect by any mean and it's closed sourced so there has not been any work on it for a many many years. I think its because it uses High level Emulation but that is as far as my knowledge can explain it. It's sad but true.
There is many reasons to use it over retroarch. One is retroarch has too many files in it and windows don't like that...
From my ideas I am thinking on this is a development for running non localized files from the ps5... Is that right?

Dragozard

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's giving me pause on PJ64 is the control config is a nightmare to set up. I can't make any sense of it.
Has anyone been able to sync up at least 2 Brawler64 Bluetooth controllers, and how?

Last edited by Dragozard,

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it all depends on what your running it on, for PC hmmm there are soooo many options but Android is more limited. Out of sheer lazy I tend to use Mupen on both it works pretty good the interface is nice and it has built in cheats. That cheat function is the one I like best. Sometimes I don't want a challenge I just want to see the end of Super Man 64 and not fly through rings... lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto