Hacking Profile exploit persists even after shut downs.

masterz87

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Long story short, I was trying to get my cat to eat his wet food and when he finally did he threw it up all over my 3ds. I shut it down, took out the battery, cleaned the thing out then reput it back together, went to the other setting thing, accidently hit ds profile and the exploit launched. What's going on here, anyone experience this? I imagine that it'll clear itself whenever I play a retail 3ds game but stll this is way too weird.

masterz87

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I wish the guide was more informative than it was, this means that I've been wasting flash cycles then by redoing the whole damned thing time after time after time. I knew it was NVRAM essentially flash memory, but I didn't know ifthe 3ds did some kind of house keeping on itself to prevent such a thing.

Reactions: cearp

NicEXE

Trophies
XP
Country
Cyprus
I knew it was NVRAM essentially flash memory
NVRAM stands for Non Volatile Random Access Memory. VRAM (Volatile Random Access Memory) is the kind of memory that loses it's contents when the power is lost.
Of course is persistent. Imagine having to set your DS username and color every time before you launch a DS title.

plasma

GBAtemp's Artificial Lifeform
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
NVRAM stands for Non Volatile Random Access Memory. VRAM (Volatile Random Access Memory) is the kind of memory that loses it's contents when the power is lost.
Of course is persistent. Imagine having to set your DS username and color every time before you launch a DS title.

how could you say such a thing?! thats just torture, thanks satan! ;O;

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I wish the guide was more informative than it was, this means that I've been wasting flash cycles then by redoing the whole damned thing time after time after time. I knew it was NVRAM essentially flash memory, but I didn't know ifthe 3ds did some kind of house keeping on itself to prevent such a thing.
I'm not sure what guide you're referring to, but no guide that I've seen has said to re-apply the exploit every time you turn on the console.

masterz87

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure what guide you're referring to, but no guide that I've seen has said to re-apply the exploit every time you turn on the console.
look at the quick guide for the r4i it siad, and so did the rest of the thing sreaply the exploit verytime you reboot. None saidthat the exploit was using nv-ram to get it's first exploit, for all I knew they were simply overwriting some chunk of ram that wasn't reinitialized after the 3ds shut down.

I'm not some idiot, I know what NVRAM is, it's bsically flash memory set aside for basic configs and such. I'm no idiot.

As to my cat, it as theother one, he's not too bright.

I was trying to get my oldercat to eat her food and put on some weight as she has had surgery twice to try to cut out all of the infection and wasnt eating mch and then he ate it because I said fine you canhaveit. Then I threw it away inthe garbage bag, but let the bowl sit there as I had to pee, when I cam eback he was trying to lick the bowl, with waht's left of the food that made hiim throw up.

I knew it was permanent when the post above me said what it did, so it had to be nvram like how routers do it, with 32k or 64k of flash dedicated to things that persists upon reboot and then are reread into real ram.

Also why wouldn't I? The chinese card I had said redo the expoit each time that you reboot the console. It didn't say only go to ds profile each reboot. I guess I should've known that I'd get moon speak gibberish when I got the card from them.

dkabot

Better With Others' Systems Than Their Own
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lAlso why wouldn't I? The chinese card I had said redo the expoit each time that you reboot the console. It didn't say only go to ds profile each reboot. I guess I should've known that I'd get moon speak gibberish when I got the card from them.

You're still using the exploit every boot by going to DS profile, you're just not installing it to there every boot.
If the exploit was so magical it just worked on boot without doing anything, life would be so much easier.

masterz87

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're still using the exploit every boot by going to DS profile, you're just not installing it to there every boot.
If the exploit was so magical it just worked on boot without doing anything, life would be so much easier.

I was thinking you had to reinstal it after eachboot, because it was living on the stack or something, tha's what I thought it was. I din't think it was some magic pixie dust thing. I know that most exploits don't work after reboot the 360's exploit is all based upon rebooting the console a bunch of times to try to trigger the exploit.

dkabot

Better With Others' Systems Than Their Own
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was thinking you had to reinstal it after eachboot, because it was living on the stack or something, tha's what I thought it was. I din't think it was some magic pixie dust thing. I know that most exploits don't work after reboot the 360's exploit is all based upon rebooting the console a bunch of times to try to trigger the exploit.
You install the exploit in DS mode. That is a separate mode which reboots the console when exited.
The actual exploit is opening DS Profile with that installed data in place.

D

Deleted-19228

This post could confuse users

NVRAM = Writeable and permanent until changed

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up