Problems with top screen

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Pocolip, May 18, 2013.

1. Pocolip
    OP

Pocolip Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    I've had my 3ds for about 2 years now (ambassador), but the past few months, the top screen started to show some weird discoloration. If I twist the base of the 3ds the image returns for a second or two, but goes back. Also, when playing in 2d mode, all the screen shows is a black background with a white stripe. I opened it up, since no warranty, but saw no chipped ribbons or anything out of the ordinary. Is it something a screen replacement fixes, or should I just buy a new one?
    Pics: http://imgur.com/a/JmzT2

2. steve007

steve007 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Nottingham
    Well Mine was the top of the 3d screen only to replace the screen the bottom made a indent on the side after i shut the unit it was out of warranty but Nintendo rep said they well fix it free it was not broken on my end it was I had a bad one they recalled so I send it in see what they well do ?

(Sorry to change the subject )

3. RodrigoDavy

RodrigoDavy GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 9, 2011
    Brazil
    You might need to replace the screen. Try sending it to repair, Nintendo is known for being awesome at technical assistence in the USA, often repairing things for free even past the warranty. That's because they profit more with games than with the system itself.

4. superspudz2000

superspudz2000 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 23, 2007
    Canada
    i think you should just buy a new 3DS and do a system transfer.

then after everything is transferred, sell the broken 3DS on ebay "as-is for parts".

its quite an expensive proposition, but usually taking apart a DS not worth the time and effort and risk of making it even worse.