Problems regarding games from different regions

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by elspero, Sep 10, 2008.

Sep 10, 2008
  1. elspero
    OP

Newcomer elspero Newbie

United Kingdom
    Hi all.
    I have a PAL console with firmware 3.3e (latest), a DMS drive and a D2pro9.
    It is configured to read games from different regions, but I encountered the following problems:
    I can start Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 and Mario Super Sluggers only using Region Free from the homebrew channel, otherwise it freezes with the infamous Black Screen. Why?
    I can't start any JAP/USA NTSC Gamecube game without using a GeckOS Dvd before putting in the gamecube game. Again.. what's with this? The d2pro should let me play games from different regions, both Wii and GC.

Those are minor annoyances, now the big problem:

I tried running several NTSC games, and some of them required to launch the update before being able to enter the game. Having 3.3E installed, I let the games "update" the console. Nothing was installed, nothing was updated. This way I got rid of the annoying "Update message" before starting the game, and I had to simply click on it from the home menu.

Then I decided to delete the "vote" channel, since i needed free blocks and I didn't use it anyway. After trying to run PES2008 and MSSluggers, I received the message "The system files are corrupted" while launching the Homebrew Channel with the PES2008 disc inserted. I rebooted the console and the message didn't come up ever since. From what I have read in various places the "corruption" message can either brick the Wii or be a random error with no consequences.
    BUT
    From that episode, a single NTSC game has a different behaviour: Chocobo's Dungeon, wich I already let "update" the console, requested again the update. I let it do it, since the first time nothing happened. But this time, I got duplicate News and Weather channels. I removed them with the Duplicate Channels Remover Version 2. I know I can "brick block" the game using a ISO and WUM, but why is this happening? The other NTSC games I own are not requesting an update and did not install duplicate channels. I thought having the latest firmware version already installed in the Wii would make those "update requests" harmless.

Can someone please explain what's going on?
    Yes, I know I can launch the game using RegionFree from the HBC, but it is annoying to have to do that knowing that before I didn't need to do it!

2. skawo96

Member skawo96 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom

3. elspero
    OP

Newcomer elspero Newbie

United Kingdom
    > Video mode tongue.gif You have to use freeloader or GeckoOS or Starfall/Menuloader hacks.Or, you can use something called "Wii Generic Pather" and "Trucha Signer" to change video mode unless you have FW 3.3
    What are you talking about? I know NTSC games use a different video mode, and the Wii can use 480p as can my TV, so it should work without using patches or loaders since I already have the d2pro9. What is different in those 2 games from the other NTSC games?

> Some updates are minor "add me". They don't really do anything
    Yeah, that's what I though, BUT the first time Chocobo's Dungeon did an "add me", the second time it actually installed the channels, even after I did the installation a first time. Why?

> It installs NTSC channels. tongue.gif This update was real update, that actually did something, because it had to
    Yeah, I already know, but the first time it did install nothing then, after i already let it update, it requested to update AGAIN and installed duplicated channels.. Why? There must be some reason, and I would like to know the details.

>USE GAMES FROM YOUR REGION! Unless, it didn't come in your region tongue.gif
    Yeah, good luck finding a PAL version of Mario Super Sluggers and Chocobo's Dungeon.
    And I installed the d2pro9 to be able to play those games released in the USA first, so this advice is not useful.

4. skawo96

Member skawo96 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom